Longer Fermentation time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CarolusMag

Reaction score
Long story short. I am brewing a Hefeweizen ( Northern Brewers Hank's) and want to leave it in the primary fermenter a little longer than usual. The last hefe I had was good, but not great because there was a slight green apple odor and taste. I understand this was likely acetaldehyde. I bottled that 5 gallon batch at 2 weeks because it was a weekend. So instead of bottling this one after 2 weeks I think I will leave it in as long as 4... So my question is is there a point where you would say I 'waited too long' to bottle it? Will the yeast weaken, go dormant, or die in the 5 gallon batch at the 5,6, or7 weeks mark? Or is that simply not a concern?

I have been brewing for well over 35 years and I typically leave most of my beers in the fermenter for around 30 days before packaging (in my instance, kegging) allowing the yeast to clean up and a diacetyl rest for lagers. Some may say that is a bit long, but I have never had a beer have off-flavors. Ever. I think you will absolutely be ok waiting 4 weeks before bottling.

I have been brewing for well over 35 years and I typically leave most of my beers in the fermenter for around 30 days before packaging (in my instance, kegging) allowing the yeast to clean up and a diacetyl rest for lagers. Some may say that is a bit long, but I have never had a beer have off-flavors. Ever. I think you will absolutely be ok waiting 4 weeks before bottling.
I appreciate the response. PROST!

Will the yeast weaken, go dormant, or die in the 5 gallon batch at the 5,6, or7 weeks mark? Or is that simply not a concern?
This is going to depend on a few things besides time. ABV of the beer, whether you cold crash (and how long at what temperature), etc. The yeast will probably be fine unless it's a really big beer and/or you keep it cold for a long time before bottling. You can always add more yeast to condition - either the same strain that you fermented with or something like CBC-1 or F-2 for a high ABV brew.

Back