Longer cold crash

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

muse435

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was planning on cold crashing for 48 hrs but now I have to go out of town this weekend. Is it ok to cold crash for 4 days? I assume so but just wanted some other opinions thnx.

Cold crashing for a few days is fine if your aim is to stop fermentation and then keg/force carb. Need to keep the yeast active to carb the bottles, if bottling.

Cold crashing for a few days is fine if your aim is to stop fermentation and then keg/force carb. Need to keep the yeast active to carb the bottles, if bottling.

You can keep the beer for weeks and weeks at 32 degrees without "losing" any of the yeast's ability to carb up the beer. I've done it.

You can keep the beer for weeks and weeks at 32 degrees without "losing" any of the yeast's ability to carb up the beer. I've done it.

I do think it 'slows down' the yeast or something, because I cold crashed a pilsner for a few days, then bottled it and it took 4 months to carb up. An earlyer batch of the same stuff which I did not cold crash carbed up in 2 weeks.

I cold crash a few of my beers after fermentation. My Alt and my Kolsch go in for 40 days, after a week or two in the basement. I let them sit in the basement after I take them out of the refrigerator for a day to let the yeast wake up, and then bottle. Never had a problem.

Latest posts

Back