Long time to carbonate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philhead1

Reaction score
I made a American cream ale form a BB kit. added 3 lbs of honey to it, to much for me but making it for friend from his request. fermanting went great, FG went .08 lower than kit said. ABV is 7.2%. but after bottling its been a month and its barely carbonatin, no head but bubbles coming up through the glass. what would make it carb so slow?? dry muntoms yeast, 1 week ferment, 2 weeks 2ndary bottles 1 month. this is my 8th batch never had this trouble before.

Honey. I had a problem with a honey beer carbonating. Just give it some time. I only used 1 lb in mine so 3 lbs could really slow it down.

Honey is slow to ferment, but it will also dry the beer out quite a bit. 3 lbs may have thinned it out enough that it affected head retention. Think champagne.

Also look at it this way, you had a higher ABV then expected which means your fermentation was more rigorous then expected and also with the final ABV you might have gone over your yeast's limit... so you likely have a very low cell count left in your batch so its gonna take time to carb in bottle... also there the fact that honey does tend to weight things down... although i have never had trouble carbonating a batch of mead before...

Cheers

I made this same kit a few months ago and it was the only brew I've made that has actually taken a full three weeks to produce a reasonable level of carbonation. I don't know what about that particular kit would cause it to take longer, except maybe the yeast....who knows if we have a similar problem though....

Some beers simply take longer than otheres...Higher gravities take longer...I've had porters and stouts take 2 months..so just make sure they are in a warm space...roll the boottles on a table top to re-suspend the yeasts, and stick them back in the closet for another few weeks.

The OG/FG was 62/04. muntons regular I guess? didn't pay much attention.
Was thinking the ABV might have killed off some of the yeast. Yes it is a thin beer, friend wanted it that way, he paid for it he got it. thied one last not carbing just a little. thin but taste isn't all that bad.

Back