Long Term Mead Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davidhastwo

Reaction score
Hey guys, beer brewer here with only one batch of simple mead so far and I need some help with a mead (Melomel?) idea .

So the wife and I have a baby girl on the way. I want to start a Pomegranate Mel when she is born, and crack the first bottle when she turns 21 and I need help formulating a recipe that can age for that long and still be good. I read a lot of people have bottles over 20 years be amazing so that gives me a lot of hope. I want something highish ABV (21%?).

Any advice on step fermenting (or whatever you call it where you slowly add the sugars in during fermentation)? Yeast suggestions (was thinking WLP99)? What kind of pitfalls should I be aware of to avoid? How long is too long to leave the wood staves in during the aging?

One thing I want to avoid is a mead that is too syrupy, both in viscosity and in sweetness. I only mention that because the first few meads I've ever tried were like a concentrated juice and I really didn't like that. Is there a way to make a high ABV mead that can avoid that?

Thanks in advance guys! I know it's a lot of questions.

For a first time Mead maker what you are suggesting (Step feeding) and any Mead really over 12% is pretty advanced. (Think the difference between a Lager kit from your LHBS and a Sour using whole grains you toast, grind and mash yourself) Not saying you cant get there but I would seriously consider a more traditional mead (YEast, Honey and water) For a long term ageing mead like you are suggesting.

Consider using a yeast that has a relatively high alcohol tolerance (I have no experience with WLP99 so cant speak to that)

Target 1.125 OG roughly 3.25 to 3.5 pounds of honey and enough water to get to a gallon the math works (reasonably well) if you ferment to 1.000.
3.5X0.035=0.123 and 0.123*131.25=16.2ABV (Plus or minus a bit)

If using a yeast like Cote Des Blanc, D47 or EC1118 I am convinced utilizing a SNA protocol like TOSNA 3.0, pH adjustment to 3.8-4.2 and aeration or mixing at the start to 1/3 Sugar break along with middle of the road yeast temperature tolerance you will be able to ferment dry and get a reasonably clean ferment. (Not overly concerned with the "clean" ferment as aging will change it dramatically Achieving a dry white wine like profile and avoiding the non-cloyingly overly sweet meads you have tasted in the past.

Wood staves for oak flavor are a good choice. Cant help you with how long other than some general comments. If I am going to Oak my mead I add 2 - 4 oz of medium toast French oak chips (per 5 gallons) for 8 - 14 days. I prefer a very mild oak flavor. I do find it does mellow a bit with age as well or the mead becomes much more well rounded and the oak is less predominant as a result.

Based upon my experience (I have a few that are now 8 Years old) None nearly as old as you are suggesting.
Traditional Mead. Continues to get better with age and even the ones that have gone 'bone dry" <1.000 get crazy good at 4 - 5 years. the honey comes through and even though dry if balanced well with perhaps a little oak and acid are excellent and well rounded. I would encourage you to stick with more of a traditional mead. (Not that others wont work but IMO your best bet is the more traditional route.
Melomels. After about 2 -3 years they tend to not get much better. They definitely don't get worse either.
Metheglins. Tend to lose some of their spice flavors over extended periods of time. But the base mead continues to get better the longer they age.
Cysers. Tend to get better the longer they age but I personally prefer high ABV meads without the juice.

Be sure to seal the bottles really well with cork and wax. Store them like you would a good wine. 50 - 60 Deg F on their side and turn them each 6 months.

Good luck I hope it will be as good as you expect it will be.

Nothing to add but one more thing.

In addition to the above, brew two gallons of Joe's ancient orange mead (you'll find the recipe here in the forum). Just do it, it's crazy simple, cheap and gets better when aged.

This way you won't just bet on one horse.

Thanks for the wealth of information and the suggestions! I had originally wanted to go high abv because if it's anything like beer, the higher abv beers store for longer without any issues. I will definitely go with your suggestion to go lower. The WLP99 I had also originally chosen because it is known to be able to go high abv. I'll research more into the yeast choices you suggested.

Will look into the ancient orange for myself. The whole pomegranate thing was because I wanted pink for "it's a girl!" factor. Kind of dumb I know. But easier to get approval from she-who-must-be-obeyed.

Thanks for the wealth of information and the suggestions! I had originally wanted to go high abv because if it's anything like beer, the higher abv beers store for longer without any issues. I will definitely go with your suggestion to go lower. The WLP99 I had also originally chosen because it is known to be able to go high abv. I'll research more into the yeast choices you suggested.

Will look into the ancient orange for myself. The whole pomegranate thing was because I wanted pink for "it's a girl!" factor. Kind of dumb I know. But easier to get approval from she-who-must-be-obeyed.
I think you misunderstood one thing. For long term aging, by all means, max out the abv!!! It's true that the stronger stuff ages better, same for mead as for beer.

I think what CKuhns meant was to start with a small mead, just to get the process dialed in and then, when successful with that, get into strong mead territory.

Yes @Miraculix - I did kind of "dance" around that. I absolutely do not want to discourage @Davidhastwo from making the attempt. You certainly can start with a higher ABV mead say 14 - 16%. But getting your protocols and technique down first will certainly go along way in how soon you can drink it. With that said my first mead was literally 15 pounds of honey, enough water to achieve 5 gallons total volume and two packs D47 dry yeast sprinkled over the top . The mead fermented at 64 Deg F. Literally just threw it in a bucket with a lid and airlock and didn't touch it for 2+ months.

At 18 months it was still "rocket fuel" hot but just barely drinkable. AT three years it was coming around. Now at 8 years it is Very Good - NOT GREAT! but good. I have two bottles left and plan to open one at 10 years and 15. Honestly I don't expect them to be what I would consider Excellent. I have some high ABV meads now at 18 - 24 months that are considerably better and a few that are what I would consider very drinkable in 6 - 9 months and Excellent at 18 months.

The point I'm trying to make is if you get some practice in and start with a better mead when bottled it will only get better with age. If like I did early on in my mead making you start with some mead that is questionable at best when done fermenting it very likely will get much better with many years of aging and could get to be awesome.

What the h$ll - Give it a go using some of the suggestions i mentioned above and if its crap in 5 - 10 years, (I doubt it will be) throw it out or drink it and give her one that is amazing. (Because you had 20 years to perfect your recipe and practices) .

Oh and to bring the pink, Pom juice will work, consider hybiscus tea as another option. (Both might not hold the color for 21 years.)

Yes @Miraculix - I did kind of "dance" around that. I absolutely do not want to discourage @Davidhastwo from making the attempt. You certainly can start with a higher ABV mead say 14 - 16%. But getting your protocols and technique down first will certainly go along way in how soon you can drink it. With that said my first mead was literally 15 pounds of honey, enough water to achieve 5 gallons total volume and two packs D47 dry yeast sprinkled over the top . The mead fermented at 64 Deg F. Literally just threw it in a bucket with a lid and airlock and didn't touch it for 2+ months.

At 18 months it was still "rocket fuel" hot but just barely drinkable. AT three years it was coming around. Now at 8 years it is Very Good - NOT GREAT! but good. I have two bottles left and plan to open one at 10 years and 15. Honestly I don't expect them to be what I would consider Excellent. I have some high ABV meads now at 18 - 24 months that are considerably better and a few that are what I would consider very drinkable in 6 - 9 months and Excellent at 18 months.

The point I'm trying to make is if you get some practice in and start with a better mead when bottled it will only get better with age. If like I did early on in my mead making you start with some mead that is questionable at best when done fermenting it very likely will get much better with many years of aging and could get to be awesome.

What the h$ll - Give it a go using some of the suggestions i mentioned above and if its crap in 5 - 10 years, (I doubt it will be) throw it out or drink it and give her one that is amazing. (Because you had 20 years to perfect your recipe and practices) .

Oh and to bring the pink, Pom juice will work, consider hybiscus tea as another option. (Both might not hold the color for 21 years.)

I can only 2nd that!

A really good mead has yet to appear from one of my fermenters but I can certainly say that I made progress on the way and that they are getting better.

I think it is safe to say that if you are using the TOSNA protocol without much DAP but instead with Fermaid O and also step feed the honey plus ferment at reasonable temperatures, you will get at least something decent. I would probably go that route.

...and of course, as a little side kick, do a joam, breaking all the nice mead-making rules that we have just learned ;)

@Davidhastwo consider reading this. (Its a zip file because its too big for the forum)

Just some thoughts about how to make mead I have gathered over the years. (Been a while since I updated it but still pretty pertinent.)

Attachments

• CDK Mead Notes and Ramblings (1).zip
    20.3 KB · Views: 11
Hi Davidhastwo - and welcome. Beer is about 5-6 % ABV with a pH of around- what 5? So the shelf life is kinda short. Mead or wine is typically around 12-14% ABV with a pH of around 3.2 ... and winemakers add K-meta to inhibit oxidation so the shelf life is a we bit LOT longer... but if your protocols are poor and your packaging is poor then the ABV, the pH and the K-meta won't really extend the shelf life. Know what you are doing and why you are doing what you are doing and you can make a very drinkable mead that will taste great after a few months and wonderful after a few years. Twenty -one years for a first time mead-maker? That's a little like a golfer who has never played before hitting a hole in one. It's possible.. but it's not very likely.. Good luck - and congrats on the imminent birth.

Thanks guys for all the info, a lot to digest. I will shoot for about 15-16% as I am hearing that it is may be easier to get a 21 year batch with less complications than a 21%. I have a lot of practice with beer so I am hoping some of that experience transfers over. Honey wine does seam like a different beast yet everything you guys are saying seems so familiar. At least some of the equipment (like temp controlled fermenter) will help me dial it in. I'm really good at following recipes/directions though so as long as I stick to a proven system (TOSNA) it should be decent. Baby will be 21 so probably not have a lot of experience with good mead yet so who's gonna complain? =P

Thanks again, I've been a long time lurker in the beer section. I would not be a homebrewer if it weren't for homebrewtalk

Last edited:
why not make a 21-25L batch, start it the week BEFORE she is due to be born (trust me you will be too tired to do it after) and open one bottle on her birthday every year until age 21-25?

try beet powder for color? or make a blueberry mead, its a nice rich red color, so is blackberry.

why not make a 21-25L batch, start it the week BEFORE she is due to be born (trust me you will be too tired to do it after) and open one bottle on her birthday every year until age 21-25?

try beet powder for color? or make a blueberry mead, its a nice rich red color, so is blackberry.
tbh Mead is way less work then beer and both the wife and I will have a lot of paternity/maternity time off of work (4 months total for the wife, 8 weeks for myself), and I have a lot of pumps and other gear from beerbrewing so I am not so worried about the time/energy thing. You bring up an interesting idea though with the opening bottles on her subsequent birthdays. I am not sure how much responsibility it is to gift an entire 5 gallon batch to a newly minted 21 year old. I definitely would have gone crazy with it with my friends when I was that age. However, I also know how much more meaningful it would be for her to be able to share her birthday brew with her friends as well though, so I do want her to pop bottles with her people. I just want to share that first bottle with her.

I am still sourcing the juice from a local seller and they have the pomegranate juice so I was going that route. There are a lot of blueberry options nearby too so maybe I'll do a berry blend or something. Still in the planning phase.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back