Long Term Bottle Seal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrawTap88

Reaction score
So my friend and I just made our first batch of beer a couple weeks ago. Today, she told me she's pregnant (not mine). Is there a way that we can seal the bottle so that the beer inside doesn't go bad, or is there a way that we can at least find a way to preserve the beer? We have a Kolsch and Dubbel in case it matters. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Just put them in a cool (between 60*&70*) dark place and they should age well. I usually case mine up an put them in my hall closet that stays 69*-70* year around and only take 1 or 2 beers out and refrigerate at a time. I have some beer that's more than a year old and are doing fine. I have friends who have done high gravity beers (i.e. imperial stouts and the like) that have aged for 3 years and are absolutely wonderful!

I think you friend may only need to worry about you drinking them all! LOL...

They should be fine with just the caps on the bottles, however you could always seal them with melted wax to make them "special".

Thanks for the tips. Would O2 caps be something worth getting since (most of) the beers will be sitting for longer than 3-4 months?

I don't really know if the O2 absorbing caps do any good, but I use them in all my brews and if I was going to be setting a batch aside for a long time I'd definitely use them as extra insurance against oxidation. They're not that much more than regular caps, price wise.

If you wanting to save it for some years, why not make a wine or maybe even a barleywine.

Thanks for the tips. Would O2 caps be something worth getting since (most of) the beers will be sitting for longer than 3-4 months?

Yeah, for the difference in price per bag of 144 I buy the O2 Barrier Caps at the LHBS. It can't hurt right?

Back