Long term aging of sours in corny kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeMerchant

Reaction score
So I have a couple of sours aging in glass carboys that have been in for six months or so, so I'm pretty confidant they're done at least pushing co2. I have a lot of corny kegs around (and now access to a good supply of cheap cornies) and was thinking it might be easier to move them into corny kegs for longer term storage (they'll need to go into kegs eventually, I don't have to worry about airlocks, I can carb and blend easily, I don't have to worry when moving them, etc). Maybe it's a waste of effort, but is there any downside?

I have a few sitting in kegs and it works great. In fact if I had access to more cheap kegs, I’d store all my sours that way. Just check to make sure they have pressure periodically and there are no slow leaks. You’d hate to come back a year in and find out you made 5 gallons of vinegar. The only downside is you can’t see what’s going on (clarity is usually a good sign of when to sample). But it’s easy enough to pull a sample now and then.

I did a saison style beer using White Labs' American Farmhouse Ale yeast, which is a mixed blend, and transferred it corny halfway into its four month fermentation/aging. I'd "burp" it once every week or two, just in case, but other than that, everything seemed to work out really nicely.

I've been trying to get more into brewing sour/brett beers and am hoping to do the same thing and move to cornies.

Latest posts

Back