Long-Lasting Krausen with Hefeweizen

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AImhoff88

Reaction score
I pitched yeast into my hefeweizen wort 11 days ago. The krausen is still covering the surface area of the wort and seems pretty thick. Unfortunately, I don't have a hydrometer, so I have no idea what the initial gravity was or what the gravity is now. Is it OK to skim the krausen off the top and bottle the beer? Does the krausen indicate that fermentation is occuring, or is it possible with a hefeweizen that krausen will remain after fermentation is completed?

A krausen really isn't supposed to last that long on a hefeweizen. I would wait for it to die down or post pics and see if its a bacterial infection. The krausen is just yeast and wort proteins, but I'm not really sure I've never heard of them remaining after brewing.

I had a batch recently that had krausen for 2+ weeks (Witbier). I think maybe its because yeasties didnt get a healthy start due to lack of oxygen or something similar. Perhaps some connection to wheat, since both of our beers had it in the recipe.

What yeast?
WLP400 will lay on top if you don't knock it down.
I either give it a good swirl to break it up or rack from between the krausen and the trub.
If you break it up, you'll have to give it some time to fall out.

Bull

I recently had a batch where the krausen didn't fall for about 4 weeks. I didn't touch it during that time, I assumed something was wrong but I waited it out and eventually it fell. The beer turned out great.

I have a strong wit that is 12 days and took gs last night and it still has a thick krausen also. The OG was 1.072 and the sample I took last night was 1.010 and tasted great. If that is the yeast on top, could I crop the yeast and if so, what is the best way?

AImhoff88 said:
I pitched yeast into my hefeweizen wort 11 days ago. The krausen is still covering the surface area of the wort and seems pretty thick. Unfortunately, I don't have a hydrometer, so I have no idea what the initial gravity was or what the gravity is now. Is it OK to skim the krausen off the top and bottle the beer? Does the krausen indicate that fermentation is occuring, or is it possible with a hefeweizen that krausen will remain after fermentation is completed?

I had that too recently with Witbier yeast after 2 weeks. I increased the temperature to 74 and fermentation kicked in again (more bubbles in the airlock and higher activity levels in the carboy). I realized the yeast strain is happier with higher fermentation temp than I used to ferment. After 3-4 days at higher temp, the krausen disappeared.

I recently had a batch where the krausen didn't fall for about 4 weeks. I didn't touch it during that time, I assumed something was wrong but I waited it out and eventually it fell. The beer turned out great.

hmmm ok, thanks for the advice guys. the only problem is that i am at college and leaving for spring break tomorrow, March 4th and will not be returning until march 13th. i read in papazian's book that if a wort is left in the fermenter for more than two weeks, the muck at the bottom of the fermenter will start to decompose and will affect beer flavor and quality.

I just left a hefeweizen in primary for 8 weeks. I opened a bottle for some homebrewers that I met recently, and they thought it was one of the best beers they ever had.

If you do a search for "Revvy" and "autolysis" on the forums, you'll find many, many, many, many threads explaining in detail why Papazian said that, and why it no longer applies to homebrewers. Short answer: The ingredients available today are much better quality than the ones that were available in the 70s.

hmmm ok, thanks for the advice guys. the only problem is that i am at college and leaving for spring break tomorrow, March 4th and will not be returning until march 13th. i read in papazian's book that if a wort is left in the fermenter for more than two weeks, the muck at the bottom of the fermenter will start to decompose and will affect beer flavor and quality.

this information is outdated. your beer is fine and will be after you return from spring break. the krausen may fall, or it may not, and your beer will still turn out fine.

Go enjoy your spring break, bang some hotties and drink good beer (none of that BMC crap). Your beer will be fine when you come back, might even be better if kept longer than 2 weeks.

I read these forums but nobody ever reports back with what happened. I too have my first hefeweizen in the fermenter with a crusty krausen that doesn't want to fall. Did you skim it? did you wait it out? how did the beer turn out?

I read these forums but nobody ever reports back with what happened. I too have my first hefeweizen in the fermenter with a crusty krausen that doesn't want to fall. Did you skim it? did you wait it out? how did the beer turn out?[/QUOTE

if you hydrometer says you have reached your final gravity it does not matter where your krausen is, i skim mine off if i'm fermenting in a bucket. i've bottled beer from under a floating krausen in a carboy too.

I looked at it this morning and it looks more like a floating yeast cake than a krausen. Maybe the non-floculent yeast? I'm using Danstar Munich. If it is still like that on sunday, i will take a gravity sample (I don't like disturbing fermenting beer)

Back