London ESB finished high, pitch Nottingham?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cederbusch

Reaction score
This Saturday (4 days ago) I pitched Danstars Londons ESB.

Maris Otter 2,5 kg
Amber malt 0,5 kg
Inverted sugar #4 0,4 kg

Mash 90 min at 67 C (154 F)
OG .47

Activity seems to have stopped and SG now is .34.

I realize I mashed this batch way to high for this yeast. And as a dark mild this would work I guess.

What do you think, leave it another 1-2 weeks and take whatever I get, or pitch Nottingham now?

What are you using to measure gravity? Refractometer, or hydrometer?
Either way, give it more time. Dry yeasts often take a bit longer. Make sure it's at a suitable temperature, then leave it for another few days at least.

This is what is said about this yeast and Windsor.

Here is one such thread: Lallemand London ESB FG at 1.036?

I used a refractometer, and a site to calculate compensated value.

It's one person's opinion - my opinion is different. A 67C mash will be fine (it might make a point or three of gravity difference), especially as you mashed for 90 minutes rather than 60. Unless you want more booze - then you'd need to mash lower.

Let it go for a while. Four days is nowhere near long enough to call a problem. Keep it at the right temperature and leave it alone for a week. If it still hasn't dropped by then, put in some Notty.

It's one person's opinion - my opinion is different.

I don´t think it´s just an opinion. Lallemand says:

LalBrew® London does not utilize the sugar maltotriose (a molecule composed of 3 glucose units).
Maltotriose is present in wort in an average 10-15% of all malt worts. The result will be fuller body and residual sweetness in beer. Be advised to adjust gravities and mash temperatures according to desired result.

LalBrew® London English-Style Ale Yeast | Lallemand Brewing

I don´t think it´s just an opinion. Lallemand says:
I'll clarify. Yes, the yeast is a poor attenuator known for leaving sweetness and yes, this needs to be considered when planning your beer/mash profile. The 'opinion' is that you must mash lower to get 'decent' attenuation. What's decent? What are you aiming for? That's where opinion comes in. The difference between your mash and a 64C mash is only a few points of gravity, it is NOT the reason for a beer stalling at about 25% attenuation.

Back