London Ale III temp question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cevan65

Reaction score
I've used London Ale III in my IPAs with what I think is good success. I've started using my keezer for fermentation control. Before this, all I could do is heat the wart but I was at the mercy of my cellar for cooling (hence no summer brewing until now).

I've going to experiment with brewing at different temps for the first 7 days and then kicking up the temp a degree or two for the final 3. London Ale has a fermentation range of 64-74. I've brewed at 68 and 70 degrees. If brewing at 70 degrees for the first 7-8 days, is there any benefit to increasing the temps up to say 72-74 for the final 2-3 days?

I've never run 1318 that warm. I pitch at 65°F and let that run for three days, then slowly ramp up to 68°F over the next 7, with dry hopping happening along the way.

But it seems to be a rather benign strain and may do just fine starting at 70°F, though I do question the need to run that warm. Is there something you're going for with this?

Cheers!

When in a hurry I've been running some of my NEIPAs at 68F using 1318. Ramp up to 72F when it slows down, about 10-15% attenuation left. This is also the point I add my first dry hops.

With a healthy pitch I've done 3-day IPAs at 70F.

I've used 1318 anywhere from 65 up to 74. I find it's smoother sooner at lower temps. Can take an extra week or so if the temp gets higher than 72. The last neipa I did was a Citra/Strata, and it got up to 83 for 12 hours on the second day (was away and couldn't swap out ice bottles for temp control). Was a touch harsh at first, but mellowed out after a week in the keg. I'd say 1318 is pretty versatile.

Thanks for the replies. I've just started temp controlling and these last two beers have been my best yet. Before this, the 1318 would invariably go off the rails and get above 74, even if the ambient temp was 63 degrees. Probably doesn't matter much if I keep it at 68 or 70, as long as it isn't getting above 74. I think the highest I've seen is 78.

I’ve used 1318 quite often with great results but I’ve always pitched around 64-65° F and only raised it 2-3° after 8-10 days. I always transfer to secondary using CO2 for dry hopping.

Thanks for the replies. I've just started temp controlling and these last two beers have been my best yet. Before this, the 1318 would invariably go off the rails and get above 74, even if the ambient temp was 63 degrees. Probably doesn't matter much if I keep it at 68 or 70, as long as it isn't getting above 74. I think the highest I've seen is 78.

So, unless you have a deadline that shaving a couple/few days off matters, given your prior experience with warm-ish fermentations with the same strain, I'd think you'd want to put some margin in your current and future brews - and stay out of the 70s entirely...

Cheers!

Back