Logistics, yeast cakes, buckets and Better Bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ill.literate

Reaction score
OK ... here's my dilemma.

Brewing inventory
1 7 gal fermenting bucket
1 6.5 gal Better Bottle
1 bottling bucket

We're planning to brew a porter this weekend, and when that's racked I want to drop an IPA on the yeast cake. Would I be better off putting the porter in the fermenting bucket, rack to the Better Bottle, and drop the IPA into the bucket?

Or would I be better off using the Better Bottle for a primary on the stout, and moving it to the bucket to secondary and then putting the IPA into the Better Bottle?

I'm planning on using a blow off tube for the IPA. Is it easier to use a tube on a Better Bottle or a bucket? And I'm planning to dry hop the IPA too... would the Better Bottle be better? :)

Thanks!

You're going the wrong direction if you're reusing the yeast cake...you are starting with a dark brew then going to a light brew.

Do the pale ale first in the larger fermenter. Rack IPA to the smaller.

Brew Porter into the larger. Rack IPA to bottling bucket....bottle/keg.

Rack porter to smaller fermenter.

Yeah... I know most people say not to go from dark to light, but I'm feeling sort of adventurous. :)

Back