Logistics and Legality of shipping beer to Afghanistan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neumann

Reaction score
My dad just recently shipped off to one of his last deployments of his Naval career. His first stop is Afghanistan. I've got a mailing address for him and I wanted to put together a care pack or what-have-you. It's going to have beef jerky, trail mix, and anything else I can think of. I thought it would be cool if I could send him some of my homebrew, seeing as he has never tasted it. So my question is, would I be breaking some federal law by shipping beer to him? I'm willing to bet we have a few service members on the board and I wonder what they would think. If it turns out I can do this legally, I've got a nice AIPA that I think might make the trip in a decent condition.

Not going to work. I assume he's on active duty orders and under General Order #1B no alcohol or components can be shipped, consumed, produced, etc. while in theater. Your dad would be in deep **** if he got caught.

Got it. Definitely don't want that. Just have to wait till he gets back stateside. Thanks for the info.

Got it. Definitely don't want that. Just have to wait till he gets back stateside. Thanks for the info.

NP, I've been on 3 tours to Iraq and every single time someone just has to have a drink. Next thing you know they get caught, fined, given extra duty, have their pay withheld, and lose rank. It's not pretty.

Well tell me what items did you miss from home that could be shipped to you. I don't want him in trouble but I want to make the time there as painless as possible.

For me, I always loved get my magazine subscriptions. My wife would send them over along with half a dozen other magazines about cars, trucks, motorcycles, etc. Made my day when I got that package in the mail. Other than that, beef jerky is a good choice. Favorite candy perhaps. If you are sending any baked goods, it takes mail about 2 to 3 weeks to get there, so it will probably be stale by the time it gets there unless you seal it really well.

Kris

beef jerky was always a big one. also that puppy chow mix you make with peanut butter, chex, powdered sugar, and chocolate. guys kill for that. nerf footballs are fun, magazines, homemade cookies, etc,

Latest posts

Back