Location of HLT return in eHERMS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

-CHRIS-

Reaction score
I am building my second generation eHERMS system out of Blichmann 20G kettles and am conflicted as to where to install the HLT return. In my keggles, I installed the return up high on the wall and the sound of gurgling water drove me nuts as I brewed. I am thinking about installing a BrewHardware spin cycle near the bottom of the side wall. Can anyone think why I may regret this placement? I may angle it up 45 degrees to make sure I get sufficient mixing.

Chris

I think it doesn't matter as long as you get decent mixing. I haven't hooked mine up yet, but I thought about getting a small 12v pump and mounting on the sidewall, and pumping back into the sidewall and see what happens. I can also see using a hose and a clamp and pointing it down into the water at an angle to help it mix. maybe point it at the heating element to help pick up heat more directly.

I have seen from my chiller that having it "whirlpool" around the outside kind of leaves the middle a bit warmer.

Mine is near the top of the HLT and I use an elbow on the inside to direct water back against the wall of the kettle. That way I get a bit of a whirlpool going. Never run into any issues with stratification that I can tell; at least the mash temp never gets above the HLT temp, so I'm assuming I've got stable temps top to bottom of the HERMS coil. I would think that if you mounted the return anywhere above your coil you'd be fine.

I would think that if you mounted the return anywhere above your coil you'd be fine.

That was my original thought but then I thought why not mount it as low as it will be in the boil kettle? With the velocity of water, I will probably not have any stratification. I am looking for someone to say, "I tried that and it didn't work" before I drill my $400 kettle.

Chris

Yeah... I'd want some confirmation first too! I spread the coils in my HERMS coil thinking that would help with surface area, but in retrospect that just caused me to end up with the top of the coil a lot higher in the pot... means I have to add more water after transferring strike water :( if only I had asked first before drilling!

Even if you did mount it high you could always change to a lower return point by adding a longer tube on a compression fitting with a silicone o-ring. You can make the return any length into the vessel you want then. I made my HLT like Kal, but if you look in my build thread I did my boil kettle with a whirlpool return with a long stainless tube bent into an "L" held into position like I described above. You could do that with your HLT. Works great as a whirlpool. Maybe someone will chime in if they use a lower return on their HLT.

John

jmark, too funny. I had StainlessBrewing wind me a 12.5" diameter coil 1/2" x 25' with a 1/2" between the coils. I have brewed for a while with a 50' coil and am not convinced all that length is needed. I still have my 50' coil if I find it does not work well. I also think allowing flow between coils will allow it to function better but I have no science or data to back up my assumption. I would also like to try a copper coil since it will provide even better heat transfer and look cooler in my opinion...

jcav, I am trying to eliminate the gurgling sound when brewing, that is why I want to mount the return at the bottom. With your solution all is not lost, I can mount it super low and if it does stratify, I can use your solution to raise the return internally. Heck I could mount a SpinCycle up side down to raise the output of the return.

Anyone do this and have it not work? :)

Chris

Why not install a 90-degree elbow on the inside of the kettle at the top with a hose nipple and put a short piece of silicone hose that reaches the level of your hot liquor tank water?

This is the last hole I need to drill as well and I'm not sure why I hadn't drilled it yet. I've brewed a couple times with just a hose dropped over the top. I'm thinking about drilling the hole at the 7:30 position so it lines up with my herms fittings.

Latest posts

Back