Local water questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Your hardness is listed as "Total Hardness mg/L as CaCO3" and is 23.4

Other numbers you'll want to pay attention to are SO4, Cl, Na, Ca, and Mg.

Water calculators make it easy to figure out where you are and can help point you to where you want to be as far as ion levels go.

basis...i live in Cary, and hate the taste of my water. i've been using bottled spring water instead.

you a bisco fan? :rockin:

Yeah, I started using a filter on my tap and it tastes much better now. I might move to using bottled water in the future though. However, my beers are tasting pretty damn good so I don't know if that will effect the taste enough to warrant the extra money.

Yeah I am a biscuits fan, how'd you guess? Lol. Are you?

I have been buying Harris Teeter Drinking water. I add 5.2 to the mash water though. I dont enjoy the taste of the water much, too clorinated. However, I asked the guy at Boylan Bridge and he said that he uses the water straight from the city without any filters.

ditto with the Harris Teeter water...it only adds 7 bucks to my total, and gives me peace of mind at the very least -- because i HATE the taste of my water. they just redid the pipes in my apartment complex, and it all tastes plastic-y.

not the world's biggest Biscuits fan, but i definitely like them enough. "Mr. Don" from the Tractorbeam show is unfreakinbelievable...

We live in a farming community in Central Illinois where the water leaves a little/lot to be desired. I finally installed an RO system and now use that water - much better.

BTW, I'll be in Cary next month on business. I just love your neck of the woods. I come out at least once a year, bring my wife and usually extend our stay by a few days as my niece lives there too.

I think I might switch over to using spring water and see what happens.

Cowperc, that's awesome that you like the Disco Biscuits. I'm a huge fan. You going to check them out when they come to the Lincoln Theatre in April?

I switched to spring water for my last 2 beers and noticed a huge improvement. It adds about $6-7 to the cost of brewing, but it's worth it for me. I guess it depends on your level of satisfaction with your tap water though.

I think I might switch over to using spring water and see what happens.

Cowperc, that's awesome that you like the Disco Biscuits. I'm a huge fan. You going to check them out when they come to the Lincoln Theatre in April?

probably. i haven't seen them in forever -- i think '07 Langerado maybe?? i'd never heard of them when i went to the very first Bonnaroo, and they blew me away there...

I have been buying Harris Teeter Drinking water. I add 5.2 to the mash water though. I dont enjoy the taste of the water much, too clorinated. However, I asked the guy at Boylan Bridge and he said that he uses the water straight from the city without any filters.

Not sure if that's necessarily the best place to be getting your brewing advice from.... Plenty of better breweries in the area

Just sayin...

Back