LME starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaotic

Reaction score
I would like to try and do a starter this time around, but I only have LME with the kit I got from AHS. How do I make a starter out of that? All the starters I've read about use DME. BTW I'm using White Labs California Ale.

Also could I just do the starter in the 6.5gal primary or is that not the right way to go?

kaotic said:
I would like to try and do a starter this time around, but I only have LME with the kit I got from AHS. How do I make a starter out of that? All the starters I've read about use DME. BTW I'm using White Labs California Ale.

Hi, Kaotic

Using a california from AHS, you probably won't need a starter. But, if you want to try it out , take 1/2 pound of your LMS and 2qt of water, bring the water to steaming remove from heat, add LME slowly while stiring til disolved. Boil for no less than 20 min. Carefull of foamy boil over! Cool to 65f.(use icewater in the sink to set the covered pan into to help cool quickly). Splashingly pour into your starter vessel. Cover and shake a few minutes, then pitch the yeast. cover with aluminum foil (sanitisied). Skake it now and then to agitate and oxygenate. Brew the next day.
Cheers

Cool thanks OldFarmer!

if I where to go to my local brew shop what kind of DME would I need to get? I'm brewing a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone?

kaotic said:
Cool thanks OldFarmer!

if I where to go to my local brew shop what kind of DME would I need to get? I'm brewing a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone?

Well, you would need about 1/2 to 3/4 lb of light DME. But, you really don't need anything more. The LME starter described earlier will do a bang-up job without adding more fermentables to your recipe. The reason DME is used so much is it is just easier and keeps better without refrigeration. It is all the same stuff, but in a different form.

Back