LME or DME?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BroStefan

Brewer
Reaction score
Here is a basic question. Other than slightly different SG/gal contribution is there any reason to prefer one over the other? Which do you use?

Thanks

DME b/c i have found my beers are lighter in color with DME. Also, LME tastes kind of soy-sauce like to me.

I use both in my recipes. I use half a 3lb bag of plain DME in a partial boil for hop additions. Then add the remaining DME,& all the LME at flame out. Cover & steep a few minutes,10 mins at the most. Then chill in an ice bath in 20 minutes or less. And no off or funny flavors. This is another one of those topics that pops up quite frequently. Both have their advantages/dissadvantages,& best uses in a given part of the recipe or boil.

DME ages better than LME. LME oxidizes and darkens and picks up odd flavors like mewithstewpid said.

On the other hand, if you can get it fresh, LME is supposed to taste better than DME because it isn't processed as much.

I am lucky to have a great LHBS (6000+ sq feet). They get bi weekly shipments of the Muntons LME, and it goes quick. Its very very tasty. I use that primarily and keep a couple keys of DME in the freezer in case of emergency. :p

They also have containers of clear malto-dextrine.

LME for ease of use. DME gets freaking EVERYWHERE when I try and use it. Doesn't matter how careful I am, it finds ways to harass me. I use both depending on what a recipe calls for, but if I had a preference, I'd use LME.

LME for ease of use. DME gets freaking EVERYWHERE when I try and use it. Doesn't matter how careful I am, it finds ways to harass me. I use both depending on what a recipe calls for, but if I had a preference, I'd use LME.

And to contrast, I prefer DME because its less messy for me than LME. DME is easier to weigh out and get all of it out of the container.

Also, DME tends to have a better shelf life.

Thanks for the sticky. I hoped there would be something like this.

For what it is worth I have always preferred DME. I am just getting back into serious home brewing after about 10 years of being only a very occasional brewer. Much advise I learned in the early days has been superseded, like the ideas that can add ME late in the boil with good results. (I've tried it! It works!)

Thanks

Back