LME how long can it be stored & how?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pshankstar

BIAB Homebrewer & Coffee Roaster
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am brewing a batch of beer that only calls for 1.5LB of Wheat LME. The LHBS only had 3LB cans of the Wheat LME. Can I store the unused portion and if so for how long? Should I keep it refrigerated or freeze it?

The only other times I've dealt with LME was with a kit I had purchased so there wasn't any leftover ingredients.

Thanks in advance everyone!!!

Seal it up & stick it in the back of the fridge. It'll keep at least until next brew day. I also keep yeast in the butter cubby on the fridge door. Hops in the freezer.

I'm also curious of the best way to store it. The only time I've had leftover LME I left it in the container (my LHBS buys bulk and fills plastic jugs by weight) and I forgot about it until a month or 2 later. By that time it had mold on top so I threw it away.

Well, if you could sanitize a smaller container that'd leave no airspace, it'd keep longer. In the same container it came in, I wouldn't leave it for more than 3-4 weeks in the fridge. It has to be kept cold.

Seal it up & stick it in the back of the fridge. It'll keep at least until next brew day. I also keep yeast in the butter cubby on the fridge door. Hops in the freezer.

Great thank you! Maybe I'll use a Tupperware container to hold the remaining LME. Let it soak in SanStar before I move it over. Label & date it & stick it in the fridge for the next brew day!

Being clean & sanitized with Starsan is the best way to ensure it's staying " clean". Beyond having a tight lid & as little head space as possible...:mug:

I've heard of people pouring a thin layer of vodka over the top. I've never done it myself, but apparently it doesn't soak in and it provides a layer of protection.

Latest posts

Back