LME:Dextrose ratio

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SMOKEU

Reaction score
Usually I don't use dextrose in my lower OG brews, but if I make a strong brew with an OG of 1.070-1.100 what ratio of LME:dextrose should I use? I don't want a very heavy body, something medium bodied sounds about right.

More info please, there's not one right answer.

I think it depends on the beer style, how big are you making it and how dry do you want it.

Double IPAs need the sugar for dryness to let the hop flavor through a big grain bill whereas barleywines sometimes just needs the sugar because otherwise there'd be wayy too much malt to keep the beer in the drinkable FG range. In my book, that range ends at 1.025 anything above that turns me off, personally.

Looking up some recipes like a pliny clone, a belgian golden strong etc will give more guidance from style to style

I want to make a strong pale ale, preferably with a FG of around 1.020 or slightly under that. Something reasonably dry.

Back