LME: Briess vs Maillard Any difference?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BruceH

Mostly Retired
Reaction score
Why am I asking? I ordered a special of 6x6lb Briess LME for less than $80. The order was received today and it contains Maillard labeled LME.

I've used LME two times in my brewing career. Instinct tells me there will be little difference. However, my mind will work this into something that overcomes instinct.

My mind wonders why was it advertised as Briess when I was shipped something labeled as Maillard? Research shows that some believe Maillard is a generic company that purchases LME from Briess and Muntons.

Any input?

I found this on an old Northern Brewer Forum page:

"Maillard Malts is proud to carry products from Briess Malt and Ingredient Co, in Chilton Wisconsin."

Maybe Briess makes something special for NB? Its more likely NB buys it in bulk from Briess.

Did the DME come from Northern Brewer?

"Maillard Malts is proud to carry products from Briess Malt and Ingredient Co, in Chilton Wisconsin."

Maybe Briess makes something special for NB? Its more likely NB buys it in bulk from Briess.

Did the DME come from Northern Brewer?

Thank you for that! I don't normally buy LME or from NB but they sent me a coupon. 20% off and free shipping. I went around the site and found the LME at what I though was a good price shipped.

Maybe Briess makes something special for NB?
Williams has some lme made just for them by Briess.

NB gets it's LME from Briess and sells it under the name of Maillard. If you want to know the spec on a Maillard LME, go check the Briess website.

Selling the malt under their own name would give them the option to change Suppliers, if they had issues with Briess.

Latest posts

Back