Living the Dream - your own Brewery

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it really depends on what you want from it. I have had plans to open a nano for a few years now but I am starting to re-think it. If you are going to open a brewery to make money...much better and easier ways to do that! Obviously we all love to make beer. I think the deal killer, or at least a big disadvantage, is all the BS that goes along with a brewery. Licensing, permits, taxes, payroll, etc..pretty much takes a lot of the "fun" out of it for me. I really just enjoy seeing people enjoy my beer. So I brew a lot of beer and give it away at tastings, beer festivals, etc. The cool part is that I sell shirts which covers the cost of the beer and I actually make a little bit of money. If you are still set on the nanobrewery idea you might want to read this...http://www.probrewer.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=24441

Phunhog said:
I think it really depends on what you want from it. I have had plans to open a nano for a few years now but I am starting to re-think it. If you are going to open a brewery to make money...much better and easier ways to do that! Obviously we all love to make beer. I think the deal killer, or at least a big disadvantage, is all the BS that goes along with a brewery. Licensing, permits, taxes, payroll, etc..pretty much takes a lot of the "fun" out of it for me. I really just enjoy seeing people enjoy my beer. So I brew a lot of beer and give it away at tastings, beer festivals, etc. The cool part is that I sell shirts which covers the cost of the beer and I actually make a little bit of money. If you are still set on the nanobrewery idea you might want to read this...http://www.probrewer.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=24441

Just read that post, its pretty awesome.

Who has 900K lieing around?
This is what Banks are for.... Better have a good business plan.

Couldn't you just buy like 500 ale pails?

I'm thinking the Plastic Conicals in 60-75 gallon sizes

A-IN0060-24_BIG.jpg

500 ale pales at $16-$23 a pop is $8k alone, and storing 500 pales would be a nightmare, let alone cleaning them.... Conical is way to go.

The system is exactly like what we to,at home. Nothing fancy. Huge brew kettle, 50 gallon plastic barrels in the basement. Hurricane burners. It's a home brew system on steroids.

this will help you, just replace "Band" with "My brewery"... and for what it is worth listen to Captain Ed...

Last edited by a moderator:
This has been eye opening! Thanks!

I own a heating and air condition business and often want to sell it and open a nano brewery. Thinking I would be done with inspectors, regulations, taxes, and the such. I'm not sure why I though running a brewery would be so much different. I guess a business is a business.

Cheers!
-Mike

Back