Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I definitely agree with you. The grapefruit and tropical flavors are there and although Saaz gives a hint of those I do think C hops are more likely. Maybe the rep misspoke? If anyone can make a very successful clone, please let me know!

:)

I'm going to make a clone of little sumpin sumpin for a summer wedding so I reached out to Lagunitas for some direction and this is what I got back:

Little Sumpin’
Hops:
-Tomahawk
-Zeus
-Willamette
-Nugget
-Centennial
-Supercritical CO2 Hop Extract
-Columbus
-Simcoe
-Chinook
-Cascade

Malts:
-Malted Red or White Wheat
-Torrified Wheat
-2 Row Pale Malt

Some of the hops are one in the same but maybe this can help anyone wanting to clone it.

I think so. I'm not sure who added this beer on beeradvocate but the description mentions it's made with 50% wheat.

How is there not more excitement over making a clone of this? Just had one for the first time about a month ago, phenomenal beer!

Little Sumpin’
Hops:
-Tomahawk
-Zeus
-Willamette
-Nugget
-Centennial
-Supercritical CO2 Hop Extract
-Columbus
-Simcoe
-Chinook
-Cascade

Wait, what? I thought Columbus, Tomahawk and Zeus were all the same hop...I'm no expert though, correct me if I'm wrong?

So we had one person say all Chinook and Saaz, one person say all C's, and one person saying 7+ different varieties of hops...I wonder if Lagunitas is just screwing with us, haha

I'm going to an event on Sunday and the SoCal Lagunitas rep should be there. I'll ask her again and see what she has to say.

@jeffdill - Yeah I scratched my head when I got this back from Lagunitas.
@MikeyBrew11 - I'm curious to see what you find out from them. Keep the list I posted in mind too if you wouldn't mind.

So sadly, the Lagunitas rep never showed up as promised yesterday. The manager of the store keeps in contact with the company though, so I've asked him to ask them next time they speak.

Alright! I'm probably going to brew this on Sunday. Anyone try to harvest the yeast from this beer? I know it's not bottle conditioned.

I just brewed the 2012 BYO recipe called Sumpin' Like Little Sumpin' Sumpin'. Its in the secondary with dry hops now. I'll bottle it up in a day or so. Smelled amazing. I'll post a comment 3 weeks after bottling.

I would say it turned out spectacular. Lagunitas' clarity must be derived from filtration, whereas the absurd quantity of dry hops definitely adds that dry hop haze. A recent brew day lead most to concur it is a worthy beer, possibly besting the real deal; the unfiltered dry hop aroma is off the charts delicious.

On my second go, I will separately give the torrified wheat a protein rest prior to adding to the mash, FWH some of the later additions, and toast the malted wheat a bit longer.

Water profile worked well:
105 ppm Ca
18 ppm Mg
20 ppm Na
308 ppm SO4
45 ppm Cl

I would probably calm the sulfates and magnesium down a little bit next time, and let the hops speak for themselves.

I brewed this about six weeks ago, it's been in the bottle a week. It's very very close. I followed the instructions to a T, except I subbed out the bittering hop additions for an equivalent of magnum I had laying around, and used tettnanger. The beer is nearly identical flavor wise, the homebrew has a freshness advantage while the commercial is crisper. Left is commercial right is homebrew.

I'm happy I brewed it. I screwed up my sparge volumes a bit and ended up with 10 gals of preboil, so I ended up doing an an almost 150 minute boil to get where I needed to be.

image-960118221.jpg

harry_the_face said:
Lagunitas Brewery websites has a video that confirms:
All C hops
50% Roasted Wheat (3 different kinds of wheat)

I really want to make a clone of this so others that have tried it need to post their results.

http://lagunitas.com/beers/little-sumpin-sumpin/

The can you brew it recipe uses a home roasted wheat.but only a lb or so iirc. The hops profile that their brewmaster gave is dead on, and it's not JUST c hops. The three wheats are white, roasted and torrified

Do you mind sharing the recipe? The interwebs are failing me at the moment and I am keen on cracking the code of this recipe. Thanks in advance.

I don't have the BYO recipe but I have the one from Can You Brew It on the Brewing Network. This is the recipe straight from Lagunitas. I feel it's close to the original version and it turned out awesome. I did not make any adjustments to my water, used just city tap water so you're mileage may vary depending.

BeerSmith 2 Recipe
Recipe: Little Sumpin Sumpin
Style: American IPA
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.55 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.50 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.25 gal
Bottling Volume: 5.25 gal
Estimated OG: 1.071 SG
Estimated Color: 5.8 SRM
Estimated IBU: 45.6 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 83.3 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
1 lbs Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM) Adjunct 1 6.6 %
7 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 46.2 %
5 lbs 3.2 oz White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 3 34.3 %
1 lbs 12.0 oz Wheat, Torrified (1.7 SRM) Grain 4 11.6 %
3.2 oz Toasted Malt (77.0 SRM) Grain 5 1.3 %
0.39 oz Nugget [9.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 13.3 IBUs
0.20 oz Horizon [12.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 7 9.1 IBUs
0.20 oz Summit [17.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 8 13.2 IBUs
0.30 oz Williamette [5.20 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 9 3.0 IBUs
0.95 oz Santiam [5.60 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 10 5.4 IBUs
0.32 oz Williamette [5.20 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 11 1.7 IBUs
1.0 pkg London ESB Ale (Wyeast Labs #1968) [124. Yeast 12 -
0.85 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 13 0.0 IBUs
0.85 oz Centennial [5.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs
0.85 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 15 0.0 IBUs
0.85 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 16 0.0 IBUs
0.63 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Day Hop 17 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Columbus (Tomahawk) [14.00 %] - Dry Hop Hop 18 0.0 IBUs

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Light Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 15 lbs 2.4 oz
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 4.54 gal of water at 162.4 F 150.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Batch sparge with 2 steps (Drain mash tun, , 5.07gal) of 168.0 F water
Notes:
------
To toast the wheat malt (Tasty used white wheat), spread the malt on a cookie sheet. Preheat the oven to 150°F and toast the malt for twenty minutes, then raise it to 300° for another 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. When it smells good, remove, cool and mill it and add it to the grist. Mash at 150°F for 60 minutes. Ferment at 62-65° for 36 hours. Raise to 68° for 36 hours and raise to 70°F.

I brewed the BYO recipe and I would say it turned out better than the Lagunitas. I think this is my new favorite recipe. This will become a regular in my kegerator for sure.

Could you post the BYO recipe? I only have the CYBI version - I would like to compare. Thanks!

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: White Labs WLP 002 English Ale - [I used Wyeast 1968 London ESB because that is what my LHBS has.]
Yeast Starter: Yes - [I used one yeast smack pack.]
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter: None
Batch Size (Gallons): 6
Original Gravity: 17.15 plato
Final Gravity: (didn't get the FG, sorry**) IBU: 60
Boiling Time (Minutes): 90 - [I boiled 60 min]
Primary*Fermentation (# of Hours & Temp): 36 hours @ 65, 36 hours @ 68, allow to finish @ 70 Secondary*Fermentation: Dry hop 7-14 days [I dry hopped for 5 days]
Tasting Notes: None
3.68 kg Domestic 2-row (50%) (Lagunitas uses Rahr 2-row Pale)
2.77 kg Malted Wheat (37.60%)
90 g Toasted Wheat (1.20%) 830 g -
[Note: I used white malted Wheat and toasted it in the oven on a cookie sheet @400 deg F for 5min. It toasted WAY faster than I expected!]
Torrified (Puffed) Wheat (11.20%) (Lagunitas uses Crisp Torrified Wheat) 1lb*Rice*Hulls added to improve flow (Gypsum added to boil using soft water) Single infusion 45 min @ 150 degrees [I mashed 60min @ 150deg F]
Hop Additions
@90 min 11 g Nugget 9% AA [I added at 60 min becuase i only did a 60 min boil]
2 g Horizon 12%
2 g Summit 17.5%
@45 min
8 g Wilamette 5.2%
@15 min
27 g Santiam 5.6%
9 g Wilamette 5.2%
Dry Hop Additions
Cascade 24 g
Centennial 24 g
Simcoe 24 g
Chinook 24 g
Columbus*15 g
Amarillo 18 g

This is the recipe I used and it turned out awesome! All the hops makes it an expensive brew to make but we'll worth it.

I have a problem every time I do a wheat beer with a lot of sediment floating in the wort. On this batch it actually clogged the bazooka tube in my boil kettle and I had to siphon with a grain bag over the siphon. Not sure what the sediment is (maybe one of you can tell) but I would like to figure out how to get rid of it. It does settle out in primary but it makes a mess in boil, cooling and transfer.

I did a side by side with the Lagunitas and mine was a bit darker and more cloudy than their's. I think it was due to over toasting the white wheat. Next time I will toast at a lower temp (350). The flavor was almost exactly the same but mine was a bit sweeter, and a bit more hop aroma.

Am I reading this correctly (the latest 6 gl.recipe) approximately 4 ounces (varietal) for the dry hop ? And how long ?

Thanks

Yes you are reading it right. I told you it was expensive to make. The other thing is that my LHBS has hops in 1oz packets so you have to buy more than you need. You will have it laying around for another brew but it make the cost high.
This is my favorite homebrew though and is worth it. Just don't give it away in 6 packs.

As for dry hop duration... I think I did it for 5-7days. There is a 1000 opinions on how long to dry hop. You can search it in this forum and find multiple discussions.

Yes you are reading it right. I told you it was expensive to make. The other thing is that my LHBS has hops in 1oz packets so you have to buy more than you need. You will have it laying around for another brew but it make the cost high.
This is my favorite homebrew though and is worth it. Just don't give it away in 6 packs.

As for dry hop duration... I think I did it for 5-7days. There is a 1000 opinions on how long to dry hop. You can search it in this forum and find multiple discussions.

It is the best of both worlds...high gravity malt/sweet wheat with the perfect dry-hopped character

I'm curious about the above recipe. I put it into BeerSmith and get 17 IBU, not 60.

I want to make this recipe as I love LSS. The IBU should be 64. Should I just keep bumping up the Nugget?

I made this a week and a half ago. I mashed at 150, but fermentation apparently went a bit too well as I went from 1.076 to 1.014 (81% attenuation). Based on the numbers on the LSS bottle, I should have ended around 1.019 to meet their ABV %.

I will have to see how the final result is after aging a couple more weeks in primary and then dry hopping, but I'm thinking next time I may mash a bit higher so it's a bit sweeter.

Back