little help. instructions are lacking.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

l1ranger

Reaction score
I got a northern IPA kit from wind river brewing company.
I didnt order it, and have yet to find the wonderful person who sent this to me.
I've done two batches and got the basics, i think.

The kit includes: 6 lbs. Gold malt extract, 3.3 lbs. Amber malt extract, 2 oz. Cascade bittering hops, 1 oz. Willamette aroma hops, 1 oz. BC Goldings aroma hops, 1/2 lb. Crystal 50°L, 1/2 lb. Toated Malt, yeast and priming sugar.

the crystal 50L and toasted malt for steeping, got that.
mix in the extracts for the boil.

simcoe goes in at 60 minutes.

willamette and Golding hops - should obviously go in near the end. 10 minutes or less, I'll likely do some at 10 min and some at 5 minutes. any suggestions to what to add when? would it be good to save some for dry hopping? if so, any suggestions as to how much of what?
estimates on IBU?

what should I expect for OG? I'm thinking about 1.060, based on my calculations (rough). does this sound about right?

it came with two yeast packs.
one dry - danstar windsor - this is what I'm used to; rehydrating and pitching.
one wyeast (smackpack?) 1098 Brit ale. "activator, pure pitchable yeast for brewing. 100 billion yeast cells. 125 ml liquid yeast and nurtient"

should I use one over the other?
both? im assuming this is not a great idea.
should I save one for a future batch?
does the wyeast need a starter?

is there a good inexpensive or free program out there for figuring out IBUs, gravities, etc?

thanks in advance

josh

Here you go. I made some assumptions, but this hopping schedule comes out almost in style.

BeerSmith Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Beer
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: India Pale Ale
TYPE: Extract
Taste: (35.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 5.72 gal
Estimated OG: 1.068 SG
Estimated Color: 12.5 SRM
Estimated IBU: 78.6 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item Type % or IBU
6.00 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract 58.25 %
3.30 lb Amber Liquid Extract (12.5 SRM) Extract 32.04 %
0.50 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 4.85 %
0.50 lb Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 4.85 %
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (60 min) Hops 41.2 IBU
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] (30 min) Hops 31.6 IBU
1.00 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (Dry Hop 3 days) Hops -
1.00 oz Goldings, B.C. [5.00 %] (10 min) Hops 5.7 IBU
1 Pkgs British Ale (Wyeast Labs #1098) Yeast-Ale

Mash Schedule: None
Total Grain Weight: 10.00 lb
----------------------------
Steep grains as desired (30-60 minutes)

thanks doc. great info. when i get an extra minute or so I'm gonna have to look into the beersmith and others a little bit more and get myself set up with one.

found out my g/f got me the kit, along with the beer a month deal, so I've got some brews coming to work on my pipeline :tank:

another question if I may.

If I were add the amber extract at 30 min, rather than 60 minutes, would that help boost my IBUs a bit?

I can't say from personal experience, but I've read that adding the extract later certainly raises the hop utilization so I would assume that..yes.. that may boost your ibu's a bit as well as helping to keep the beer more pale in color due to less caramelizing.

Beersmith has a free trial. It does everything except save recipes. Full version is $22 well worth it in my opinion.

Use the smack pack but you'll need to make a starter. There are a million threads here on it. I know I've written a few posts on them myself.

They are easy and you'll get much better results

another question if I may.

If I were add the amber extract at 30 min, rather than 60 minutes, would that help boost my IBUs a bit?

The IBUs are already very high for the style. This is an English IPA, not an Left Coast American IPA, so the extra bittering would not be a good idea. In fact, I'd be inclined to cut the 30 minute add to 0.5 oz.

thanks all.
I just noticed a discrepancy in the ingredients. what i posted above came from the website and says 2 oz of cascade, but the actual kit I got only has 1 oz of simcoe, which is approximately the same for AA.
the recipe drdirt posted from beersmith shows 2 oz of simcoe - with 1 oz at 30 min. I don't have that that oz of simcoe. however, it still seems to be in style, so I think I'll roll with it.

Back