Little Carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laxer

Reaction score
I'm a noob, finished my second brew three weeks ago. Both batches have little carbonation. I added the priming sugar when bottling but I think my problem is that I pitched the yeast dry without hydrating and cold crashed. I have read that not hydrating yeast can kill 1/2 of them and cold crashing settles out yeast to the trub. Is this my problem with little carbonation ?
Thanks in advance for any help

Did the batch reach an expected final gravity? If so I doubt pitching dry is your problem. What size batch, how much priming sugar, and at what temp have the bottles been stored?
Welcome to the hobby.

One thing I have done in the past that has worked with low carbonation is after about 1 and 1/2-2 weeks flip the bottles upside down for 3 days then turn them right side up. I guess the idea is to wake up and agitate the yeast. Either way it has always worked for me.

I did 5 gallon batches and reached final gravity target before bottling. Is my problem that bottle storage is 63-68 degrees ? (most of the time at 63)
I think I need to move bottles to a warmer location and give them a shake to wake them up. What is a good bottle conditioning temp range ?

63F is a bit low to carbonate at. 70F or a bit more is a lot better & will carbonate quicker. No shaking is needed, but a swirl can't hurt.

Thanks, so dry pitching yeast and cold crashing are not my carb problems, it's bottle conditioning temp ?

Usually, yes. Too low & the yeast can go dormant. The higher temps won't hurt the beer, since it's past initial fermentation. Besides, the closed environment helps temp wise, so far as higher temps are concerned.

Back