Liquid Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Danny013

Reaction score
Was at the LHBS yesterday deciding on a brew and the guy there talked me into a hefeweizen, and suggested the Bavarian Weizen, WLP351. He said it would be directly pitchable since my SG wouldn't be too high, just follow the instructions on the bottle.

I get the yeast out before I start brewing, get the wort in the carboy, cool it down to 74, pitch the yeast, and as of this morning there are no visible signs of fermentation. The temperature is currently at 72. I pitched late last night. Should I wait a little longer or run back to the store and grab another bottle? The 'Best Before' date isn't until December 20, so it is good and fresh.

My ambient was a little higher than the 74 I pitched at, maybe there is some yeast shock? If that happens, do the yeast die or are they just stunned and take a while to get going?

First time with liquid yeast...I miss my dry yeast! :D :p

I think you should always make a starter with liquid yeast and just about everyone on here agrees with me I think. You can wait a couple more days to see if anything happens and if not just pitch some dry yeast. Or you can repitch the same yeast, but if you're going to spend the money on another vial of whitelabs I would make a starter to be safe. I t hink your best option is wait and see if anything happens and if nothing pitch some dry yeast.

You should be fine. I did a hefe a few weeks ago and did the same thing. It took about 24hrs for it to start.

I've used liquid yeast twice. It was in a "smack pack". I don't think I like those....I smacked one Friday night and was sure I busted the inner pack. I cut the main pack open and the inner pack had not been busted. So I had to carefully get the inner pack out, cut it open and dump it into the yeast.

I had a nice fermentation.

We'll see what happens. I hope it's not rotten. :(

Thanks for the quick replies! No activity yet, were going on 24 hours here...

I guess I learned I need to make a starter now on with liquid yeast!

I do, however, have a possible problem. Before I explain, I'm grabbing some homebrews.

Do I have an infection? I still have no airlock activity, no foam or bubbles on the surface, but I have these weird, white mold looking things floating around in clumps. Just yeast? Is it getting started?

SANY0157-1.jpg

SANY0156.jpg

I'd hate to start dumping out brew so early in my beer career! It's bad policy. :p :D

Danny013 said:
Thanks for the quick replies! No activity yet, were going on 24 hours here...

I guess I learned I need to make a starter now on with liquid yeast!

I do, however, have a possible problem. Before I explain, I'm grabbing some homebrews.

Do I have an infection? I still have no airlock activity, no foam or bubbles on the surface, but I have these weird, white mold looking things floating around in clumps. Just yeast? Is it getting started?

Dude, see those little white islands in there? She's about ready to get started. Relax, watch the progress. OH!, IMHO! :)

Whew, thanks! What is OH, though?

'Tis only me second brew; who knew it could make a man so nervous and impatient.

Back