Liquid yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mugen112

Reaction score
When I went to pitch my yeast I opened the white labs vial and it practically exploded (like shaken soda) shooting foamy yeast out. I was able to direct about 95% of it into the wort. Does this mean it was good yeast?

That happens with almost all of their yeasts. It's best to just barely open the cap while it's warming to room temp, over and over again. I'll release the cap pressure about 6 times before I pitch to a starter.

Just means there was a lot of CO2 suspended in solution. This would have happened right after the vial was packaged since it is usually fermenting some sugars in the wort it is stored in. Whether the yeast was dead or alive when you opened it, the CO2 will still have a tendancy to want to leave solution, like if you open a pop bottle. Difference is that there are proteins in the wort that will cause extreme foaming.

Now, given that most people will tend to shake the vial to keep all the yeast in suspension prior to pitching, this just exasperates the problem. Think of shaking a can of beer before cracking it open.

Back