Liquid yeast starter question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SirHoboJoe

Reaction score
Alright, a couple questions about this. First of all, I've never brewed before. This will be my first. I've acquired all the equipment, ingredients, etc. I've yet to work out the exact recipe but I'll have that down in the next day or so. I've decided to go all-grain on my first brew. I'm not the type to ease in to something, I'm going all in.

But upon further research I've read that getting a yeast starter going several hours before your mash is done and cooled is the best way to go. However, I don't have any dried malt extract, or a flask and stirring plate. I have only a surplus malt grains. Is there a way to make a yeast starter by using a small amount of caramalt grains to make a sort of mini beer and get it going in a small sanitized jug? From what I've read, the wort for the yeast starter has to be around a certain gravity, and I assume that is why this would be difficult.

The reason I can't simply buy some DME is because I don't get paid for a little over a week, and I received my hops yesterday. I kind of want to use them ASAP. So, any suggestions or help? Really appreciate it guys.

I have no idea what to expect as far as starting gravity goes. I do have a hydrometer and I plan on using it, but I have no idea what to expect.

I'm using Whitelabs Irish Ale yeast.

When you create your recipe you should know your expected OG. A starter should be done in 1.038-1.040 wort. It takes 18-24 hours on a stirplate and 30 - 48 with intermittent shaking for the yeast to propagate.

If your OG is 1.050 or less I would say to just pitch the yeast, read more on making starters and do one for your next batch.

Congrats on jumping in with both feet, but is seems you have quite a bit more to learn. Keep at it, this hobby is awesome.

DME is super cheap...1lb for $5. You probably wont need a yeast starter for your first batch if you are using liquid yeast ... just don't go over 10lb of grains. Your first 30 batches or so is called the learning curve.

When you create your recipe you should know your expected OG.

Cool so is there a basic formula for this? I'm planning on exacting the recipe tonight, so how can I predict the OG from it?

Congrats on jumping in with both feet, but is seems you have quite a bit more to learn. Keep at it, this hobby is awesome.

Thanks. And yes, I do have a lot to learn for sure. I have quite a few ideas knocking around in my head so I don't think ill be giving up any time soon. Even if this batch turns into a moldy cheese-like solid.

Cool so is there a basic formula for this? I'm planning on exacting the recipe tonight, so how can I predict the OG from it?

Thanks. And yes, I do have a lot to learn for sure. I have quite a few ideas knocking around in my head so I don't think ill be giving up any time soon. Even if this batch turns into a moldy cheese-like solid.

Check out http://www.brewtarget.org/

You can formulate your recipe and have a pretty good idea of what you will get even before you brew.

Also look at the recipe section of this site. There are a lot of great recipes that you can either brew or use as a starting point in making your own. I started out doing recipes as written, then I made some small changes, now I create my own. I still look at other recipes to get ideas and see if what I have in mind might be too out there.....

Thanks broski. I'll check it out. I thought about starting using someone else's recipe a couple times but that takes almost all the fun out of it for me. I'm just a stubborn ******* I guess, but it's the way I think.

Latest posts

Back