Liquid Side Conversion to Duotight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

eshea3

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Helping someone convert his keezer to duotights on the liquid side. The faucet shanks have a 1/4 inch barb permanently attached. Has anyone identified a fitting to convert these to a duotight connection? I was thinking possibly the 8mm to 6.5mm reducer.

I have 3/16th shanks and put the ends of the EVA tubing in hot water to make them soft before sliding over the shanks. This was the smallest I.D. EVA tubing (4mm). Maybe you could stretch this over 1/4" barbs? Morebeer, Williams or Kegland itself are the places I look for EVA Barrier stuff.

Duotight reducer fitting for 1/4" Intertap short shank [barb] x 5/16" tubing.
I don't know if it will work on your barb but it's cheap and you could try it with a little water in a keg in case of leaks. That way if it does leak not such a mess to clean up.
1672410412919.png

Some here have simply cut off the barb with an appropriate Dremel grinding wheel, and (after dressing it off) then using a Duotight 8mm to Sankey thread adapter on the shank.

I'm planning on using the 6.5mm OD (3mm ID) EvaBarrier tubing design such that I only need about 2.5 ft of tubing per tap in my keezer. Since they don't yet have a Sankey thread adapter for this 6.5/3mm tubing, I will be using "Sankey Ball Lock Beer Side Converters" on the shanks and then using their 3mm ball lock disconnects on each side of the tubing. We'll see how this goes soon!

Duotights have been known to fail. Often if the hose isn’t dead straight going into the duotight they will leak
Hose barb and clamps are the best for liquid

Just use JohnGuest or DMfit PTC fittings. I have them on all of my liquid and gas lines from QDs to shanks, manifolds and regs with zero issues.
Swivel nuts and clamps are so over...

Cheers!

Is there any reason plastic push to connect connectors have to be used instead of stainless steel barb fittings with normal valves, regulator, etc.?

Other than the fact that the push connect system is easy to connect/disconnect/reconfigure without snapping oetiker clamps off, etc. no.

Generally 4mm ID EVA just needs to be flared open at the end to make it over a 1/4" barb and the OD is too small for worm drive clamps. You have to use oetiker style pinch clamps.

Last edited:
Back