Liquid flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neil humphreys

Reaction score
I’m about to bottle my beer from a basic Mr Beer keg style kit with the tap on the front. I add some priming sugar to each bottle and then fill them up from the tap so there is no bottling bucket. How do I add the liquid flavor to the beer?

Huh? What is liquid flavor? Did the kit come with some sort of flavor addition or something? What kind of beer is it supposed to be?

Huh? What is liquid flavor? Did the kit come with some sort of flavor addition or something? What kind of beer is it supposed to be?

IMG_8730.jpg
IMG_1520815449.177068.jpg

This is your malt extract that you boil in water with hops, which I'm assuming you already did and let if ferment after adding yeastView attachment 561713

And this would be your flavoring that you add post fermentation. Honestly it's probably easiest to use a bottling bucket. Add priming sugar and this chocolate flavoring your bucket, and rack your fermented beer on top to ensure it mixes thoroughly. Then bottle and condition...View attachment 561714

In that case I think I will wait and use this another time. Yes you are correct on both accounts. Today is bottling day and my section at work and I are excited to see how this turns out.

In that case I think I will wait and use this another time. Yes you are correct on both accounts. Today is bottling day and my section at work and I are excited to see how this turns out.

If the flavoring came with the kit, then I would use it. You could try to add it equal parts to each bottle, but that would be a PITA. One other question after looking at your pics...did you mix the malt extract with water or simply boil malt container in a water bath?

Okay, was a little concerned...glad you cleared that up. I thought you did NOT add the malt extract yet. Anyways, I'll add to what everyone else said, add the flavoring to the bottling bucket (if you have one ... if not, they're relatively cheap). You can either add the priming sugar to the same bottling bucket (recommended by some) or add good ole' table sugar to each bottle (what I do). It works out to be able 1/2tsp per 12oz bottle. Just pay attention to sanitation!

If the flavoring came with the kit, then I would use it. You could try to add it equal parts to each bottle, but that would be a PITA. One other question after looking at your pics...did you mix the malt extract with water or simply boil malt container in a water bath?

I hear it in a pan of water in its container. This makes it more runny and allows it to mix with the water a lot better rather than sink straight to the bottom of the pan.

Okay, was a little concerned...glad you cleared that up. I thought you did NOT add the malt extract yet. Anyways, I'll add to what everyone else said, add the flavoring to the bottling bucket (if you have one ... if not, they're relatively cheap). You can either add the priming sugar to the same bottling bucket (recommended by some) or add good ole' table sugar to each bottle (what I do). It works out to be able 1/2tsp per 12oz bottle. Just pay attention to sanitation!

I’m about half way through bottling now and can see I am short of sugar so will have to add table sugar so ty for letting me know how much

First of all, are you a hundred percent sure all your fermentation is complete? Did you take any gravity readings with a hydrometer? How could you almost be out of priming sugar if you pre mixed it with the batch following the directions?

Assuming you followed the directions to a T, it depends on the type of beer you're making as far as how long you need to wait as well as it depends on the temperature that the bottles are stored in. Generally speaking, two weeks is a good starting point unless you have a stout or something like that that takes longer to age.

Because you sound new at this my recommendation is to get a plastic tote with the lid and store your bottles in there in the event that you made a mistake and over carbonated causing some quote-unquote bottle bombs.

Otherwise enjoy!!

First of all, are you a hundred percent sure all your fermentation is complete? Did you take any gravity readings with a hydrometer? How could you almost be out of priming sugar if you pre mixed it with the batch following the directions?

Assuming you followed the directions to a T, it depends on the type of beer you're making as far as how long you need to wait as well as it depends on the temperature that the bottles are stored in. Generally speaking, two weeks is a good starting point unless you have a stout or something like that that takes longer to age.

Because you sound new at this my recommendation is to get a plastic tote with the lid and store your bottles in there in the event that you made a mistake and over carbonated causing some quote-unquote bottle bombs.

Otherwise enjoy!!

No gravity readings. No hydrometer. It has been fermenting for three weeks and has stopped producing bubbles in the airlock. Ran out of priming sugar because I’m adding 1/2 teaspoon to each bottle and this isn’t my first batch of beer. I’m still using a packet of priming sugar from a previous bottling.

No gravity readings. No hydrometer. It has been fermenting for three weeks and has stopped producing bubbles in the airlock. Ran out of priming sugar because I’m adding 1/2 teaspoon to each bottle and this isn’t my first batch of beer. I’m still using a packet of priming sugar from a previous bottling.

My apologies.

I don't know the difference between priming sugar and regular old white sugar, but just to be safe when I'm referencing half a teaspoon I'm referencing regular old white sugar. I've never used the priming sugar that they supply in these kits. I usually just chuck that in the boil because I have no use for it.

Two cents - buy a hydrometer...they're cheap and something you should have on deck. Your OG is likely to differ from the kits OG due to a nice of different reasons. It's great to ground truth.

My apologies.

I don't know the difference between priming sugar and regular old white sugar, but just to be safe when I'm referencing half a teaspoon I'm referencing regular old white sugar. I've never used the priming sugar that they supply in these kits. I usually just chuck that in the boil because I have no use for it.

Two cents - buy a hydrometer...they're cheap and something you should have on deck. Your OG is likely to differ from the kits OG due to a nice of different reasons. It's great to ground truth.

Yeah it’s on the amazon shopping cart I just haven’t got around to getting it. I wouldn’t know what to do with it even if I did but I hear it used a lot on the boards so I figured it would be useful to have to record measurements for future reference.

Sorry if my replies seem curt. I’m currently giving my 8 month old his bottle and putting him to bed while holding the phone with one hand lol

Yeah it’s on the amazon shopping cart I just haven’t got around to getting it. I wouldn’t know what to do with it even if I did but I hear it used a lot on the boards so I figured it would be useful to have to record measurements for future reference.

Sorry if my replies seem curt. I’m currently giving my 8 month old his bottle and putting him to bed while holding the phone with one hand lol

Pfffft, take a lot to make cry. Some Lion King and death are about it...okay, maybe salted wounds, too.

With that said, a hydrometer is extremely. Basically you take a gravity reading pre fermentation and another reading post fermentation, toss that info into an online calculator and you have your ABV. That simple...

In addition when you start brewing more complicated beers a hydrometer will become extremely valuable. For example if you ever get into traditional sours you need to pay extreme attention to hydrometer readings to know when your beer is ready to bottle, if you are bottling. I assume there are a billion other ways you can use it, but for me it's primarily to determine the alcohol level as a percentage and to know that I'm not about to throw glass all around the garage...or someone else's garage.

In addition to the hydrometer make sure it either comes with or that you buy a vial or tube for it to sit in because it doesn't do any good without that.

Pfffft, take a lot to make cry. Some Lion King and death are about it...okay, maybe salted wounds, too.

With that said, a hydrometer is extremely. Basically you take a gravity reading pre fermentation and another reading post fermentation, toss that info into an online calculator and you have your ABV. That simple...

In addition when you start brewing more complicated beers a hydrometer will become extremely valuable. For example if you ever get into traditional sours you need to pay extreme attention to hydrometer readings to know when your beer is ready to bottle, if you are bottling. I assume there are a billion other ways you can use it, but for me it's primarily to determine the alcohol level as a percentage and to know that I'm not about to throw glass all around the garage...or someone else's garage.

In addition to the hydrometer make sure it either comes with or that you buy a vial or tube for it to sit in because it doesn't do any good without that.

Yeah. I remember my dad had one when I was younger and would watch him brew his own beer. I know what it is but not how to use it. I’m not really interested in the alcohol content of the beer so much as it tasting good right now. But that being said the very first brew I made came back at me with a punch so hard I struggled to finish a bottle without falling over getting to the bathroom lol.

Yeah. I remember my dad had one when I was younger and would watch him brew his own beer. I know what it is but not how to use it. I’m not really interested in the alcohol content of the beer so much as it tasting good right now. But that being said the very first brew I made came back at me with a punch so hard I struggled to finish a bottle without falling over getting to the bathroom lol.

Alcohol content, taste perception, bitterness, maltiness, mouth feel, head retention, Clarity, and anything else you can imagine are all different things I would call good or classify as good. It is all perspective!

Ok so as I’ve had this beer bottled for 2 weeks now I checked it over the weekend. I haven’t opened a bottle but just looking through them I can’t see any carbonation. Anyone have any ideas on why or what I can do? Or if this kind of beer should carbonate much. I don’t know if it’s supposed to be like Newcastle brown ale which doesn’t really bubble until it’s opened or poured. Just looking for some help with this. Do I leave it a little longer or just call it.

Ok so as I’ve had this beer bottled for 2 weeks now I checked it over the weekend. I haven’t opened a bottle but just looking through them I can’t see any carbonation. Anyone have any ideas on why or what I can do? Or if this kind of beer should carbonate much. I don’t know if it’s supposed to be like Newcastle brown ale which doesn’t really bubble until it’s opened or poured. Just looking for some help with this. Do I leave it a little longer or just call it.

I don't think you can "see" carbonation. Pop one open, my 2c. Do so slowly in the event that they're the opposite, overcarb'd.

Two things: 1. It can take a few weeks for a beer to carb. Sure, you are adding only a little sugar but you have added this small amount to small amounts of yeast much of which you have left behind when bottling and the yeast that is in the bottles is now distributed among the total number of bottles... so patience, grasshopper, patience.
2. Why is it not possible to pour the chocolate extract into the fermenter and gently stir the contents to ensure that the extract is completely mixed? I would think that the Mr Beer set up would accommodate such things as added extracts and the like. But I could be wrong...

I'll throw in another perspective on gravity samples. I've read and found from experience that with extract brewing, OG is pretty much what the kit specifies if all ingredients are used and the volume is correct. And if doing a partial boil and topping off with water, it's hard to mix it perfectly - so an OG sample might not be representative. I stopped taking OG samples on extract brews several years ago. I only use a hydrometer for FG samples. I take one 2 to 3 days before bottling day, and another on bottling day. If they're the same, I bottle. If gravity has dropped at all, I wait and check again later. That only happened once, when I rushed it. If you bottle before fermentation is complete, it will finish in the bottles and cause gushers or bottle bombs. I use a bottling hydrometer (narrow range) because it can give much more precise readings.

If you only care to assure yourself that fermentation is complete follow @ncbrewer recommendation; however, if you want to know your ABV percentage you need to know the OG. Do not use the kit's OG; take a reading. You'll likely find that your gravity readings will vary as noted in the above post.

Yeah unfortunately I don’t have a hydrometer and don’t know the readings before fermentation so I have no bench mark to go off. Should I just leave it another week, 2 , 3 or what do I do now?

How many bottles do you have already bottle conditioning? Are we talking 12oz bottles or more? Two weeks in a bottle should suffice for carbonating, but that's also dependent on temp that they've been sitting in. Two weeks in my 60ish degree garage is typically more than enough.

My 2c would be to open a bottle to check on carbonation levels and then go from there unless you have a very limited supply.

I have 24 bottles 16oz each. The temp i’m not 100% on but it’s in the house but it’s near an outside door so if I was to take a guess I’d say high 60’s to low 70’s. I have enough to check at least a couple. In doing the check do I just pop one open or chill it and check it?

I have 24 bottles 16oz each. The temp i’m not 100% on but it’s in the house but it’s near an outside door so if I was to take a guess I’d say high 60’s to low 70’s. I have enough to check at least a couple. In doing the check do I just pop one open or chill it and check it?

You should probably stick it in the fridge for 24-48 hours first unless it was already quite cold. If it's at room temp, I'd chill it first. Just do one ... not need for more.

Ok I’ll stick one in the fridge tonight and give you guys the answer tomorrow night.

My assumption is you'll find them carbonated normally (assuming no mistakes there), but a bit too alcohol-y at this stage. I think you were brewing a darker beer which takes a bit longer to age in the bottle than say a lighter beer...let us know though :)

Yeah I let it ferment for a week longer than the can said and I wasn’t sure how long to bottle it for. I’ll see tomorrow how it is. I’ve hyped it up with my guys at work that I hope it’s a good one.

Yeah I let it ferment for a week longer than the can said and I wasn’t sure how long to bottle it for. I’ll see tomorrow how it is. I’ve hyped it up with my guys at work that I hope it’s a good one.

That's the drawback of a first brew being a stout/porter, time. BUT now that you have those in bottles get going with an IPA or a PA or something similar. Those will have a much faster turn around.

I’m not really looking for fast beer. I really want to find something I like and play with it by adding hops and other flavors to get what I am looking for. This is about my 3rd or 4th brew but the others I did from an information sheet I got from the home brew store. I no longer live there as I am in the army and I am working on a different style of beer than the instructions called for so I really needed this page and you guys to help me through this. I am still very much a beginner though as the other brews were straight from malt mix with nothing added.

I’m not really looking for fast beer. I really want to find something I like and play with it by adding hops and other flavors to get what I am looking for. This is about my 3rd or 4th brew but the others I did from an information sheet I got from the home brew store. I no longer live there as I am in the army and I am working on a different style of beer than the instructions called for so I really needed this page and you guys to help me through this. I am still very much a beginner though as the other brews were straight from malt mix with nothing added.

While I understand that I think my point was lost. Dark brews take a long time (re: months) to age; therefore, finding something to play with will require a fast beer unless you really don't mind waiting months.

Take a simple recipe (see my sig. or elsewhere) and alter those to your taste...it's easy to build your own recipe(s). Take notes, lots of notes before, during, and after ;)

Ahhhh yes sorry did miss that point lol. I’ll check it out and see what I can do. I tried a really nice dark beer as my first brew. It had a weird chemical taste at first sip but had an amazing Smokey chocolate flavor once swallowed. I put the weird taste down to bad sterilization but after drinking 2 bottles of it and stumbling to get up the stairs I asked the brew store and found it was probably the alcohol content which tainted the initial flavor. It packed a hell of a punch and as I said after the initial taste was swallowed it was one of the best tasting beers I had ever had.

Ahhhh yes sorry did miss that point lol. I’ll check it out and see what I can do. I tried a really nice dark beer as my first brew. It had a weird chemical taste at first sip but had an amazing Smokey chocolate flavor once swallowed. I put the weird taste down to bad sterilization but after drinking 2 bottles of it and stumbling to get up the stairs I asked the brew store and found it was probably the alcohol content which tainted the initial flavor. It packed a hell of a punch and as I said after the initial taste was swallowed it was one of the best tasting beers I had ever had.

Probably needed months to age ;)

Back