Lions SUCK!!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ohiobrewtus said:
7-9 here we come baby!

I get frustrated as hell watching games like yesterday's but after I've had time to calm down and stop swearing at my TV I realize that this team *finally* is getting better. I think that hiring Marinelli was one of the few things that Millen has done with in 7 years.

The biggest problem on offense isn't with Martz' system, it's the O-line. Backus is not a starting caliber LT, RT has been a turnstyle, and everyone that's played guard has been a disappointment.

Martz' system has a lot of 7 step drops for receivers to get downfield with the QB throwing to spots. It takes about 2 seconds to make that drop, then Kitna has to check his receivers and see which spot he wants to throw to. It's hard for him to execute the offense when he's on his back.

Although for everything that he brings to the table in terms of leadership and toughness, the Lions need to start thinking seriously about a replacement. Kitna's 35, he's gottne the snot beat out of him the last 2 seasons, and he can't seem to win games when they're on the line for the taking.

They won't draft a QB in '08 - they took Drew Stanton in the 2nd round last year. He's been on IR all year, but he should know the offense pretty well by the time training camp comes next summer.

Stanton isn't hurt.
He's safe on IR, so they can train him. :D

My comment about drafting a QB was from our history of ruining rookie QB's in the past. Drew will be ruined in 08.

eriktlupus said:
we didn't take AP because he has a history of injury,think charles rogers,. they better be getting some o-line personnel this offseason or the coaching staff will fall next year.

We didn't take AP because of Tatum and Kevin Jones.
It doesn't matter though, even with AP our run game would be a limp dick. Our offensive line create a hole? Never.
Hell, at the rate Kitna gets hurried or sent into a scramble, Adrian would have been hurt much earlier in the season...

AP sidenote....
Is this dude the bionic man or what? Breaks a collar bone? Comes back stronger. Injures tendons? Comes back faster.
He is incredible. I've been a fan of his since his 2nd year of college ball. He is an outstanding back with excellent field vision. He could be better then *gasp* Barry.

capcrnch said:
He could be better then *gasp* Barry.

Bite your tongue!:D I think that's subjective, Barry was entertaining for his ability to change direction and all of his "backfield" yards. But, the Barry incident is just one more example of our management/coaching staff screwing up the team. If anyone ever deserved a ring, it was Barry.

The fact that Barry was even ever a Lion still pi$$es me off. He should have been a Packer. Barry was picked third that year if I remember correctly. And who did the Packers take #1????? Tony Man-I'm-Rich, one of the biggest draft day screw-ups ever.

If we never would have had Barry at all...I can't imagine how badly we would have sucked. He alone made us a contender against any team. Even Barry couldn't have won a Superbowl by himself, but on any given sunday, the Lions had a chance at victory.

I remember Mandarich. A Michigan State grad, right?

Flyin' Lion said:
If we never would have had Barry at all...I can't imagine how badly we would have sucked. He alone made us a contender against any team. Even Barry couldn't have won a Superbowl by himself, but on any given sunday, the Lions had a chance at victory.

Aikman #1, Mandarich #2, Sanders #3, Derrick Thomas #4, Deion #5.

http://drafthistory.com/years/1989.html

Flyin' Lion said:
Bite your tongue!:D I think that's subjective, Barry was entertaining for his ability to change direction and all of his "backfield" yards. But, the Barry incident is just one more example of our management/coaching staff screwing up the team. If anyone ever deserved a ring, it was Barry.

I was watching a mix-video the other day of Barry... Some of the cuts he made were absolutely incredible. It was like the guy had legs made of jello.

He's like Larry Burndorfer. Speed Walking Champion of the midwest.

Comcast commercial? Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

Bernie Brewer said:
The fact that Barry was even ever a Lion still pi$$es me off. He should have been a Packer. Barry was picked third that year if I remember correctly. And who did the Packers take #1????? Tony Man-I'm-Rich, one of the biggest draft day screw-ups ever.

Mandrich should have been a stud though. That was indeed one of the worst draft flops ever.
Dude was HUGE too. I remember an SI article about him before draft and it went through his daily average diet.
Christ almighty.

Flyin' Lion said:

Don't forget though, Mitchell had a couple years where he had some great #'s.

capcrnch said:
Don't forget though, Mitchell had a couple years where he had some great #'s.

That could also have been because Barry's run opened up the pass (if you believe that sort of thing). I remember '95 when Moore and Perriman each had over 100 catches (first pair to do so).

Love the word prospect eh?

1798-1.jpg

Head size disproportionate to body = ‘roids. Should have joined the WWF

Flyin' Lion said:
That could also have been because Barry's run opened up the pass (if you believe that sort of thing). I remember '95 when Moore and Perriman each had over 100 catches (first pair to do so).

That '95 Lions offense was one of the top 10 most potent offeses all-time in the NFL.

DesertBrew said:
Head size disproportionate to body = ‘roids. Should have joined the WWF

Really? I have a disproportionally small head in comparison to my body and I've never taken 'roids.

6'2" and I wear a childs size hat. :D

ohiobrewtus said:
That '95 Lions offense was one of the top 10 most potent offeses all-time in the NFL.

And yet we still lost in the first round of the playoffs.:mad:

The reason I hate Filth-a-delphia.

DesertBrew said:
Thanks Detroit!

Signed, Packer Fan

:) replaced with :(

+1
Since when does Hansen miss a 35 yarder that would have iced that game?????

Watch they'll turn around and beat GB on the last game to further f*ck things up.

What gets me is, I had already resigned myself to the fact that they would lose. Why do they have to make it a game only to cave at the end?

So effing frustrated with this team.

God, what a pathetic excuse for a FB team. If paris lenon falls on a stupid football, GAME OVER. Major tOOl.

I knew they would find a way to lose that game. That SUCKED.

Well, from a Cowboys fan perspective, that was fun to watch. The way the Cowboys defense just rolls over sometimes really worries me, though.

My condolences to you Lions fans. I know the feeling after many mediocre years as a Dallas fan. It's great when they're doing well, but hard to watch when they suck.

Go Cowboys!!!
sm-thumbup.gif

Dude said:
God, what a pathetic excuse for a FB team. If paris lenon falls on a stupid football, GAME OVER. Major tOOl.

I knew they would find a way to lose that game. That SUCKED.

The zebras could have called pass interference in the endzone and we wouldn't have had to attempt a field goal.

Pathetic is a bit harsh, we were leading.

I don't expect them to finish any better than 7-9, and they'll be lucky if they win at home against the Chiefs.

Start 6-2 and finish 1-7. Disgusting.

Flyin' Lion said:
The zebras could have called pass interference in the endzone and we wouldn't have had to attempt a field goal.

Pathetic is a bit harsh, we were leading.

True, I'm a dick. They played a better game against them than my team did.

It just killed me to see them give it away. Dallas is the NFC's Patriots. Lucky as ****.

Another blowout. I thought with Merriman out, we had a chance. I actually hope that we lose the last two--it would inspire another severe roster change.

JnJ said:
They need an ownership/management change.

Yes they do. I firmly believe that nothing will change for this team until it's under new ownership. Unfortunatley for Lions fans, that's not going to happen for a long time. When WCF Sr. kicks the bucket WCF Jr. will take over. I'm sure that one of the first things he'll do is fire Millen if he's still there, but no member of the Ford family is capable of hiring a replacement who's any better.

It's been this way since they bought the team in 1964. They have little or no personal involvement. As long as the team is making money, then winning is secondary.

My DVR went nutso on me last night so I didn't get the game recorded and didn't get to watch it. It's probably for the best. I would have been extremely ticked off had I watched that trash yesterday.

Start 6-2 and finish 1-7 or 0-8. BRILLIANT!

Martz is out after this season. I can't say whether or not this is good news. If he just ran the ball more, I feel like we would be in the playoffs now. As it is now, we will be facing another rebuilding year in 2008.:mad:

Thank God this season has ended. Onto next years sadness and bitter disappointment.

Kitna recently bought a SuperBee from Milosch Chrysler/Dodge in Lake Orion.
Big and bright yellow. A sign on it says "Customized for John Kitna".. (He's obviously driven it before, there is some Christian stuff scattered in the car and a small packet of paperwork in the back)...

Someone wrote (with Sharpie) on the side of the car:
"You suck Kitna. Maybe you could have prayed for a winning season instead of all the selfish crap like world peace and ending hunger. BASTARD"

I went back later that day to get pictures and they already had it cleaned off.

mrb said:
My Packer flag is flying high.

BYE BYE LIONS!!!!

+1 They way they played Sunday I think our high school football team could have kept a close game with them.

Flyin' Lion said:
Martz is out after this season. I can't say whether or not this is good news. If he just ran the ball more, I feel like we would be in the playoffs now. As it is now, we will be facing another rebuilding year in 2008.:mad:

I agree that Martz is probably gone, but I think that this is a HUGE mistake. The *single* biggest problem that the Lions have right now is that their defense blows goats. They were 31st in the league in total defense this year. Martz didn't run the ball more because they were usually down by two scores by the first quarter and had to play catch up.

Marinelli needs to hand the offense completely over to Martz. He and Millen then need to focus on Defensive FA's (Give Jared Allen a huge contract if KC doesn't stop him from hitting the market) and then figure out which defensive players they are going to take in the first 3 rounds of April's draft.

Then cut all of the slackers (Kalimba Edwards, Shaun Cody, Boss Bailey, George Foster, etc) and get guys in that locker room that want to play. That's the only way that they're competetive next season. If they dump Martz and promote Kippy Brown to OC it's back to another rebuilding year.

+1 on their defense issues. Their tackling has been awful. Way too many penalties too.

capcrnch said:
Someone wrote (with Sharpie) on the side of the car:
"You suck Kitna. Maybe you could have prayed for a winning season instead of all the selfish crap like world peace and ending hunger. BASTARD"

Boy is that a bizarre statement. Since when is praying for world peace and ending hunger more selfish than praying for a winning season.:confused:

As usual, the Lions did the wrong thing today and fired Mike Martz.

Then they go and do something even more confusing by naming OL coach Jim Coletto and WR coach Kippy Brown as co-offensive coordinators.

Let the rebuilding begin once again. Year 8 of Millen's 10 year rebuilding program.

I agree he was the token head. If you're playing from behind, an offense is bound to have to throw out the gameplan and have to go with plan B which is whip it down the field.

Flyin' Lion said:
Boy is that a bizarre statement. Since when is praying for world peace and ending hunger more selfish than praying for a winning season.:confused:

Is it really selfish as a Lions fan to wish for a winning season? I know as a Lions and Jets fan, im praying for one :D

Seriously though, I believe it was written in jest.

Enjoy the 7-9 season this year because next year is going to be ugly:

The complete 2008 NFL schedule isn't due out until April.

In the meantime, the Detroit Lions at least know which teams they'll meet on the field next season. The Lions will have the league's ninth-toughest schedule, while the New England Patriots will have the NFL's easiest, according to opponents' winning percentages -- Lions (.543), Patriots (.387) -- from the past season. I guess that makes perfect sense, huh?

The Lions (7-9) will face the following opponents (2007 records in parentheses):

HOME
Chicago (7-9)
Green Bay (13-3)
Jacksonville (11-5)
Minnesota (8-8)
New Orleans (7-9)
Tampa Bay (9-7)
Tennessee (10-6)
Washington (9-7)

AWAY
Atlanta (4-12)
Carolina (7-9)
Chicago (7-9)
Green Bay (13-3)
Houston (8-8)
Indianapolis (13-3)
Minnesota (8-8)
San Francisco (5-11)

Of note:

• The Lions will face seven opponents that reached the playoffs in 2007, including the Green Bay Packers twice. (Detroit had seven games against playoff foes from 2006 this past season.) Five of those matchups will be home games, while the other two will be at Lambeau Field and at the new home of the 2007 Super Bowl champion Indianapolis Colts.

• The Lions have games against all four teams from the NFL's toughest division, the AFC South, with home games against the Tennessee Titans (10-6) and Jacksonville Jaguars (11-5) and road games against the Houston Texans (8-8) and Colts (13-3).

• The Lions will play 10 games against teams that finished 8-8 or better in 2007 and 14 games against teams that finished 7-9 or better. The only cream puffs on their schedule appear to be the Atlanta Falcons (4-12) and San Francisco 49ers (5-11), but both of those games will be on the road.

I smell another 3-13 season coming. Hopefully that will finally be enough to get Millen canned.

Back