Line Length

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmart84

Reaction score
I'm trying to determine how much length to use for my beverage tubing in my kegerator setup. I live at 6000 feet and am using 3/16 tubing. Is there a rule of thumb for determining line length as it pertains to elevation? Thanks.

Dispensing systems are closed until the faucet spout. I don't think altitude should matter much if at all.

Go here for the only beer line length calculator worth using, but generally you'll find good results with one foot of 3/16" ID PVC beer line per PSI of CO2 pressure.

And the CO2 pressure, of course, should be set per our friendly carbonation table. Pick a temperature, scan that row for your desired level of carbonation (expressed as "volumes of CO2", where a typical ale might be carbed to around 2.4-2.5 volumes), then go up that column to find the proper pressure.

Plug that value into the line length calculator and you can't go wrong...

Cheers!

It won't hurt to go longer on lines either, maybe resulting in a slightly slower pour. Plus, it is easier to cut lines to a shorter length than it is to make a line longer. And the type of line you use is also a factor. If you use vinyl, the chart will be good for you, but if you use something like Bev Seal Ultra I have heard you may have to increase length 30 - 50% due to less resistance.

:mug:

Dispensing systems are closed until the faucet spout. I don't think altitude should matter much if at all.

Where altitude comes into play is the CO2 regulator since it controls the pressure relative to the atmosphere (gauge pressure).

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/air-altitude-pressure-d_462.html

At 6,000 feet the atmospheric pressure is 11.8 psia, compared to 14.7 psia at sea level here in MA. So if I set my regulator for 10 psig, I'll be applying 24.7 psia to my keg, but for OP he'd only be applying 22.8. So basically he'd just want to add 2 psi to the result from any carbonation chart or calculator, and then balance the system based off of that higher pressure.

Where altitude comes into play is the CO2 regulator since it controls the pressure relative to the atmosphere (gauge pressure).

http://www.engineeringtoolbox.com/air-altitude-pressure-d_462.html

At 6,000 feet the atmospheric pressure is 11.8 psia, compared to 14.7 psia at sea level here in MA. So if I set my regulator for 10 psig, I'll be applying 24.7 psia to my keg, but for OP he'd only be applying 22.8. So basically he'd just want to add 2 psi to the result from any carbonation chart or calculator, and then balance the system based off of that higher pressure.

+1 This is the correct way to compensate for high altitudes.

Brew on :mug:

Latest posts

Back