Line Balancing a 100% Nitro Setup for Coffee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smithmd4

Reaction score
Added a Nitro line to the keggerator so the girlfriend can have nitro cold brew whenever she wanted. Using 100% nitrogen as beer gas would carbonate the coffee.

Everything I've read on a nitro system basically said "set it to 30psi and use whatever length hose you're using for CO2." so I've got 9ft of 3/16" line ready for the first batch. Serving at 45ish.

Anyone done this or have any thoughts on what the best solution is?

Aiming to start serving on Sunday or Monday as an FYI.

Thanks for any input in advance!

The reason you care about line balancing with CO2 is because if the beer comes out of the faucet too quickly you'll get foaming. With beergas and a stout faucet, you need the high pressure to force it through the restrictor plate property.

Are you using a stout faucet? If not, I'd say as little pressure as you can get away with and still have it pour at an acceptable rate. The higher pressure will only waste your nitrogen. You don't have any carbonation to worry about.

I have a 2 tap nitro cold brew coffee setup. There are 2 different types of cold brew. One pours like a nitro stout (creamy with that cascading effect) and one pours just like cold coffee (no head at all).

For the former you will need to condition the coffee on the nitro for a while before serving. The place I get mine from says they set it at 45 PSI and keep the coffee at about 33F for 2-3 weeks.

Then you'll need a stout faucet. I serve mine at 45 PSI.

For the latter, you don't really need anything special, and you don't need to condition it. I serve mine at ~5PSI, basically just enough pressure to move it through the lines.

In both cases I'm using ~8 feet of 3/16" line, so I think you'll be fine.

Thanks!

Going for the creamy nitro and yes I have a nitro faucet.

Didn't realize it would take so long to "carb" up. I knew nitrogen wasn't easily soluble in liquid so wasn't sure how it all worked on 100% nitro with the sparkler faucet.

Will post again if I have any other questions. Thanks all!

Latest posts

Back