Lime peel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alee

Reaction score
I have searched previous threads about this subject, but couldn't find any positive results and instructions. Has anyone had sucess with lime peel from fresh limes added to give a little bite/zest to their beer? I was contemplating a light wheat beer for the summer and fancied a touch of lime. When would I add it and how much for 5 gal?:tank: Maybe I'm better off putting a slice in my glass!

I have searched previous threads about this subject, but couldn't find any positive results and instructions. Has anyone had sucess with lime peel from fresh limes added to give a little bite/zest to their beer? I was contemplating a light wheat beer for the summer and fancied a touch of lime. When would I add it and how much for 5 gal?:tank: Maybe I'm better off putting a slice in my glass!

You could zest one or two limes and put the zest in at the end of the boil. Just use the skin (zest) and none of the pith (inner white stuff). The pith is very bitter.

Another option that will give the beer a little more complexity would be some lime zest, coriander and kiffer lime leaf.

Let' see here:
-Zest and juice of 2 limes
-14 grams coriander
-Four kiffer leafs cut into confetti strips

All at flame out or last 5 - 3 minutes.

I added the zest of 5 key limes (real key limes not that lame ass tiny Persian limes that grocery stores try to pass off on the uneducated public as key limes) to a 2.25 gallon Mr. Beer batch and it was just perfect. About the same limey intensity as Rising Moon. Add the zest at flame out or better yet sanitize your hands, the grater, and the limes and zest them directly into the fermenter. Much of the aroma/flavor of citrus fruit is highly volatile and will flash off the instant it hits boiling wort.

Would you want the zest in the primary? Would the taste and aroma be consumed in the fermentation?

It might be better to add the zest in the secondary, or even "dry hopping" the zest in the keg (if you keg).

Use a vegetable peeler to take off strips of the peels instead of a zester.

Soak peels in vodka for a few days to make an extract and to sanitize everything.

Dump the whole concoction in after fermentation is complete. Dry hop for a few days/week.

Adding to the boil or during primary and you will loose most of the flavor and aroma through the boiling or through the airlock.

Back