Lime Cream Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

g2rnewton

Reaction score
I am interested in making a lime cream ale for my summer beer. Thinking of adding lime peels to a cream ale. Anyone have advice/tips?

I made a Cherry Lime Session IPA last year using lime for the first time. 25 litres (6.6 US Gallons) were put on top of 20g (0.7 oz.) of de-pithed lime zest in secondary. It was way to limey. I considered dumping it, but ended-up drinking it. Next time, I'll use a 1/3 or a 1/4 as much.

So, my only advice is that a little lime zest goes a long way!

Made a lime cream ale last year with zest and the juice and currently have a Coconut Lime Kolsch on tap. For a 5 gallon batch you probably want 4-5 limes if zesting, 2-3 if using whole peel. you can zest them making sure to leave the white bitter pith on the limes or use the whole peels (again without the pith) . Then soak in vodka for a day or two to sanitize them and add them post fermentation.

Made a lime cream ale last year with zest and the juice and currently have a Coconut Lime Kolsch on tap. For a 5 gallon batch you probably want 4-5 limes if zesting, 2-3 if using whole peel. you can zest them making sure to leave the white bitter pith on the limes or use the whole peels (again without the pith) . Then soak in vodka for a day or two to sanitize them and add them post fermentation.
Thanks much. Did you add any coriander? I always add it with my orange peels, but wasn’t sure if that would be too much.

Back