Lime Corona Clone Question Help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Padj

Reaction score
I am getting ready (probably next week) to brew a Corona Clone but with lime installed in the recipe. I am wondering if anyone has had any experience at adding lime during boil/primary/secondary before.

I am thinking at lime peels for the boil so and then adding lime juice to the secondary. Possible lime leaves in primary. I don't want to add juice early to mess with the yeast/pH????

Any feedback would be more than welcoming.

I haven't tried lime in brewing yet, but am planning to (a couple of mates love miller chill with lime). I've used orange zest a few times in Wits and it comes through strongly with not much zest, so I think that's the way to go. I'm not sure about the juice - it seems to change flavour to my tastes in cooking - maybe straight into primary (it should be fairly sanitary? maybe?). Are you talking about kaffir lime leaves? They could be interesting as well.

Edit: I wouldn't worry about the lime juice messing with yeast in primary - yeast can cope with pre-acidified wort down to about 3.5 in kettle souring!

I haven't tried lime in brewing yet, but am planning to (a couple of mates love miller chill with lime). I've used orange zest a few times in Wits and it comes through strongly with not much zest, so I think that's the way to go. I'm not sure about the juice - it seems to change flavour to my tastes in cooking - maybe straight into primary (it should be fairly sanitary? maybe?). Are you talking about kaffir lime leaves? They could be interesting as well.

Edit: I wouldn't worry about the lime juice messing with yeast in primary - yeast can cope with pre-acidified wort down to about 3.5 in kettle souring!
Mostly everything involved with citrus is experimental at this stage. I heard folks get good results with leaves but I was hoping to just use peel. Sounds like a little is a lot in this case?

The orange zest in witbier I've used is based on Jamil's recipe in 'Brewing Classic Styles'. It calls for 43g/1.5oz in 5 gallons for a 5 minute boil, which from memory was about 5 oranges. It was quite strong (in a good way). I'd use that as a starting point for lime zest. Be careful to use the outside bit only (zest), not the whole peel as the white pithy bit is apparently very unpleasantly bitter.

I've never used limes in brewing, but have used lemon and orange in beers. My advice is not to add any lime juice. Add the zest of ~2-3 limes at flameout. Taste during transfer and if it doesn't have enough lime flavor add some more zest in the secondary.

Back