• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

New York Like New - Spike CF5 Conical Fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thorrak

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I bought a Spike CF5 Conical Fermenter with the intent of using it with a Stasis glycol chiller. Unfortunately, the Stasis turned out to be way too loud for my apartment - and the CF5 turned out to be too big for my fermentation fridge. While I still plan on buying a glycol chiller someday, it's unfortunately going to have to wait until we buy a house.

That said, the CF5 is basically brand new -- all that it has been used for is a "test chill" of water with the Stasis. It includes all the original accessories and is ready for use in brewing. I've also got a number of accessories I purchased for it and while I'm not interested in "parting out" the accessories I am more than happy to sell all/none if someone wants to buy them alongside the fermenter.

99D0905C-3C0D-44F3-AA99-12203BBBAFE3.jpeg

(Pictured with the optional insulated jacket, leg extensions, bracing shelf, casters, and racking arm)

The CF5 unitank was originally $550 - I'd be willing to sell it for $450 + shipping. I checked how much it would cost to ship from NYC to Central VA, and UPS was showing ~$40 so you'd end up saving ~$60 vs. buying from Spike by my estimation.

For the accessories, I've got the following (but haven't estimated shipping just yet:
  • Insulated Jacket - Orig $85, If interested $65
  • Casters - Orig $35, If Interested $30
  • Leg Extensions (Short) - Orig $40, If Interested $35
  • Racking Arm - Orig $25, If interested $20
All in, it would be $600 + shipping, vs $735 from Spike.

Pricing on this is firm - I'm listing it more to free up space in my apartment, but if it doesn't sell I'm just going to end up storing it until we buy a place. Seriously - this thing is awesome - it just needs a cooling rig or fridge large enough to fit it!

B0849C4F-EFA5-471E-84C2-E3C9E4D3920E.jpeg49B86224-2ACD-487C-A4ED-6319E31FBCAF.jpeg0C432512-7836-49AB-95F2-BC5CEA8C80A0.jpeg

Edit - I previously had the bracing shelf & temp control coil listed as well, but shipping kills both of these as they will have to be shipped in separate boxes. Your best bet if you want these is to actually order these together from Spike directly -- unless you want to pick everything up in Queens. If you do, pricing is as follows:
  • Bracing Shelf - Orig $60, If Interested $45
  • Temp Control Coil - Orig $85, If interested $75

Last edited:
Correct -- although I didn't have the attached in the photo, those are included with the CF5.

Glad to hear it as I just wanted to help so others would know it when they read your post that they are standard items and are included. 👍

Wait you are moving?!
If I was, I wouldn’t sell it! ;)

We decided that “working from home” didn’t specify whose home, so we found one with a nice kitchen and a pretty view.

The Virginia reference is because my girlfriend’s mother has a house down there I can stash it at for a year (or two, or three)

Last edited:
If I was, I wouldn’t sell it! ;)

We decided that “working from home” didn’t specify whose home, so we found one with a nice kitchen and a pretty view.

The Virginia reference is because my girlfriend’s mother has a house down there I can stash it at for a year (or two, or three)

Got it, sounds nice actually.

I just updated the accessory list/prices - unfortunately the temp coil/bracing shelf don't make sense to ship since they won't fit in the box with the fermenter.

I also checked the cost of shipping from NYC to Cali - It's clocking in at $68, so a buyer in California would save about $70 buying the set direct from Spike. Closer buyers would (likely) save more.

By mid summer it will be in Virginia. :)

But hey - we’re actually heading upstate in a week. If you’re interested it could appear on your doorstep. ;)
If you’re still headed to upstate I’d be interested. I live in the Syracuse area. Let me know.

I can't believe this listing popped up a DAY AFTER I gave up on finding it used and bought a new one from Spike. I posted on the wanted thread for this exact item weeks ago!

That said, after spending $1200 on a new one, I still need the thermowell and the jacket. I live in NY as well but I'm a bit further west. I'd like to buy both of those items from you if you are able to separate this out.

I can't believe this listing popped up a DAY AFTER I gave up on finding it used and bought a new one from Spike. I posted on the wanted thread for this exact item weeks ago!

That said, after spending $1200 on a new one, I still need the thermowell and the jacket. I live in NY as well but I'm a bit further west. I'd like to buy both of those items from you if you are able to separate this out.
DOH! I feel like that happens every time i'm searching for something, unfortunately. :(

I'm surprised you need a thermowell - do you mean the coil? The thermowell that is included with the CF5 is a pretty good one, TBQH.

Unfortunately, I'm not looking to part things out (aside from potentially the temp coil/bracing shelf if a local buyer wanted to pick it up). Everything else can fit in the box with the fermenter - unfortunately the temp coil/bracing shelf are a pain to ship.

I really thought the CF5 came with a thermowell so I didn't order one. It arrived with the thermometer which apparently is NOT a thermometer screwed into a thermowell. At least the one they sent me seems to be a single unit that doesn't come apart...really sucks that I now have to go spent another $25.

They also sent me the incorrect amount of TC clamps so I'm +2 on 2" clamps and -2 on 1.5" clamps. Guess I get to order more parts...or wait 3-5 days before they respond to my email.

Anyway, sorry to go off top on your thread and good luck with the sale. If I could just ship this one back and buy yours I would.

Also, just curious but could you post a picture of the thermometer you received with your unit? You mentioned that the thermowell was included but the website (and what I received) shows a thermometer. Again, I thought it was a thermometer screwed into a thermowell so I didn't order an extra thermowell. TC Thermowell | Spike Brewing
It even says on their website "The NPT port on the outside allows for the thermometer to be screwed in" which would make most people think that the included thermometer is screwed into the thermowell, no?

I believe one of the Spike Conical tips and trips threads recently talked about this. I got my CF10 last week and it came with a 1.5TC thermowell and a 1.5TC Analog Thermometer. The graphics on spikes website for the CF10 right now still shows the old way and not how they ship it. My thermowell has an NPT threading on the outside, but the thermometer has no way of fitting in there without something else holding it in (ie. the 1.5TC on the thermometer doesn't clamp to the 1/2 NPT female port on the thermowell). It isn't like I can change the thermowell out to the thermometer mid ferment since they are now both TCs.

I'm a little frustrated, but honestly I wouldn't keep the analog thermometer hooked up ever anyways since the digital temp probe for the TC100 is in there and I don't see me changing the digital probe to the analog thermometer for any reason.

Interesting - the CF5 I have has the threaded thermowell, not the one-piece thermowell/thermometer. I actually had bought a second thermowell to have on hand from Brew Hardware for ~10 which is the one currently in my Flex+.

$600+shipping without the temp coil or bracing shelf. If you want to pick it up, you can add the temp coil and bracing shelf for another $120 for a total of $720.

I can’t ship the temp coil or bracing shelf in a cost effective way, unfortunately. Your best bet is to buy the CF5/everything else from me, and the temp coil/bracing shelf from spike with free shipping. For recipients that are close by, you would end up saving ~$100 buying from me vs buying everything from Spike directly.

Bummer I had a neighbor drive down to NYC (well really Jersey... but just a bit further and it could be NYC). I'll evaluate if this makes sense as an upgrade for me as I've spent a bunch this year already.

The CF5 does look like a beast of a machine and with the glycol chiller I already have would make great use of the second pump.

The CF5 is a fantastic piece of kit -- It's definitely something I plan on (re?) purchasing once I have a house with enough space to put some distance between myself and the required glycol chiller.

As a side note, someone has claimed the conical with delivery taking place this coming weekend. I'll post if it falls through for any reason, but for now it has been taken.

Oh no! I'm wicked bummed I missed this. Glad you found a buyer but if it falls through I'll be last in line 👍

Oh no! I'm wicked bummed I missed this. Glad you found a buyer but if it falls through I'll be last in line 👍
Unfortunately, we dropped it off a few weeks ago, so at this point I think it's unlikely to fall through. ;)

That said, if you're in the market for a stainless conical I can't recommend the CF5 enough. It's a fantastic piece of kit.

Back