Light

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Babylon

Reaction score
My first time brewing beer, I have done rootbeer and cider in the past. After getting the carbuoy safely down in the basement I forgot to turn off the light so it had light, from a florescent bulb, shining on it for about 24 hours. I don't smell any skunky tones in the air coming out of the blow off jar, but I am concerned I am just not noticing them. Is this long enough that I have ruined my beer?

I'm pretty sure that florescent bulb isn't going to harm your beer very much, if any at all. Well, florescent emits small amounts of UV, but I've never had any trouble. It's the UV rays from the sun that you gotta watch out for. Also, I wouldn't use any black lights around your beer either ;)

Fluorescent lights can cause problems just like sunlight, but it isn't quite as bad. Since it was only about 24 hours I really wouldn't worry. It's obviously not something you want to make a habit out of doing, but it shouldn't have much of an impact on your beer provided you remember to keep the lights off from now on.

Also, dunno if you were using regular fluorescent or CFLs, but CFLs emit less uv than conventional FLs.

probably regular, just one of those long tube shaped bulbs, and yeah, I have the light off now, I'll only be turning it on in brief intervals to check on the beer. Although I can't resist periodically going down there and watching the overflow tube bubble.

Just cover the fermenter with a blanket, t-shirt, or black garbage bag. Then you can leave the light on all you want :)

Back