Light Wheat Malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stylus1274

Reaction score
Hello -

I was given a Russian book about beer making. I am going to attempt to make a recipe from it. It's of course all written in Russian so some items get lost in translation.

Anyways I'm doing a wheat beer. It lists "light wheat". I've been looking over the internet and not truly finding anything called "light wheat". I've found a pale wheat from Weyermann. But not sure about that one.

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks

Two things to consider here, the type of actual wheat and any sort of malting. And the fact that often times “light” and “white” are subtlies in translation.

There’s two main types of wheat. Red and white. It could be referring to white wheat.

The too if the wheat is malted, it could be a lighter or darker malting.

My money would be on this being a lighter white wheat malt. If you swing by your local home brew store just get “wheat malt”. Most every one just listed as plain old wheat malt is a white wheat malted lightly.

The book says the recipe is a Bavarian Wheat. It states the wheat, pilsner and some caramel.

Regular "wheat" DME usually contains a percentage of pale malt extract as well. I don't know how much though.

But a bavarian wheat should (according to the "rules") have at least 50% wheat. For a straight hefe I feel that 50% is a bit low. If you do some reseach, then maybe you can find a wheat DME, and find out how much of it is pale malt extract, and subtract the pilsner from that amount and bump the wheat extract amount to compensate.

Haha! Sorry. DME just popped into my head when reading "white wheat". I'd use regular continental wheat then instead of spending more time researching than brewing :)

Research isn't so bad. You learn a few things along the way!

Coincidentally enough though I may just do extract because I'm feeling lazy about this recipe lol.....

It's most likely White Wheat, which is the lightest Wheat malt. There is also something called Dark Wheat, so it should be the lightest one you can find.

Back