Light malt spray

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kloppofthekop

Reaction score
Would I be ok in using 1kg of light malt spray in my Scottish heavy kit. I ordered it by mistake instead of the dark one. By the way I'm a newbie, so yes I am stupid :ghostly:

Last edited:
Would I be ok in using 1kg of light malt spray in my Scottish heavy kit. I ordered it by mistake instead of the dark one

You'll still make beer. How much impact the substitution has on your beer would depend on the batch size. But basically, the beer will be lighter in color, less toasty/sweet, and may be have a slightly lower final gravity and higher ABV.

Oh good, I don't mind it being lighter, I'll give it a go. Thanks for the advice
It's more important to control your fermentation temps. In another thread you mentioned fermenting at 24C. That's too high for most yeasts.

When you ferment too high the yeast may generate lots of (unwanted) fusel alcohols (tasting "hot") and other off flavors and aromas. It's usually best to ferment at the lower end of a yeast strain's range. Then after a week or so, when fermentation is slowing down, slowly raise the temps to keep her engaged and finish out.

There are many ways to control your ferm temps.

How big is your batch of beer? It's a Wee Heavy, right?
BTW, the malt powder is called spray malt. ;)

This is a new batch, I got the other one sorted, got it down to a steady 21c and it tastes nice. I am bottling it now. Is there any way of keeping the temp down when I do this latest batch.

To your original post, I doubt if you'll even notice the difference since it's not a major percentage of your ingredients.

To your original post, I doubt if you'll even notice the difference since it's not a major percentage of your ingredients.

What percentage is it? (Yes, that's a trick question. :))

What percentage is it? (Yes, that's a trick question. :))
Doesn't seem like a trick question. I've done extracts of Wee Heavy and the 2lb error is about 18% of the malt extract fermentables--not enough to notice. Then you have another pound of various steeping grains.

This is a new batch, I got the other one sorted, got it down to a steady 21c and it tastes nice. I am bottling it now. Is there any way of keeping the temp down when I do this latest batch.
Find a place in your home that remains cooler, that's the easiest.

But fermentation itself generates heat, so some form of active cooling may be needed. Larger vessels create and hold onto heat more than smaller ones, due to lower surface to volume ratio.

Look up "swamp cooler."

Or use a spare refrigerator (or freezer) that's controlled by a separate temp controller (such as an Inkbird ITC-308).

Doesn't seem like a trick question. I've done extracts of Wee Heavy and the 2lb error is about 18% of the malt extract fermentables--not enough to notice. Then you have another pound of various steeping grains.

The trick part was that the OP hadn't said what the batch size was. So, 1 kg out of ???

I have bottled it on Wednesday and ended up with a half bottle so I am keeping an eye on it, so far its carbonating well, obviously still cloudy but really nice taste. I have put the rest in my coal shed which is obviously dark

Latest posts

Back