Light(ish) beer ideas? WY1010 plus these grains...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhys333

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm looking for suggestions on which specialty grains I might include in a light ale. And when I say light, I mean 5% abv and anything light amber or lower SRM. I want just enough to add a touch of complexity and make it interesting. I'm using domestic 2 Row base malt and fermenting with Wyeast 1010. I've done this with grain bills that include 7% Vienna and 3% Victory, but I want to mix it up this time. I'm using kölsch/altbier as a reference point, but I'm not restricting myself to the style. Light and refreshing with a little pizazz is what I'm after.

I have the following specialty malts on hand, grouped approximately by type:

Rolled oats, flaked barley.
Rye
Crystal (30, 40, 60, 80, 120).
Victory, brown.
Vienna, Munich 15, honey malt, aromatic, melanoidin.
Pale chocolate malt, chocolate, black patent, roasted barley.
Lightly peated smoked malt.

All ideas welcome and appreciated!

Last edited:
I like 1010 for rye and wheat beers I was trying to use up some ingredients and made a rye beer this summer with 1010 that might fit your bill. Did the following:
22% rye
15% wheat
5% light crystal (I was using up some Belgian C-20)
remainder 2 row

I hit 1.050 and 1.010 for a little over 5% ABV.

I like 1010 for rye and wheat beers I was trying to use up some ingredients and made a rye beer this summer with 1010 that might fit your bill. Did the following:
22% rye
15% wheat
5% light crystal (I was using up some Belgian C-20)
remainder 2 row

I hit 1.050 and 1.010 for a little over 5% ABV.

I'm with you on that. I'm the guy you responded to a few weeks go when I asked about 1010 wheat beers. It turned out great, btw.

This one won't have any wheat in it, as I used up the last of what I had on the last batch. I do have rye, but just enough to aid head retention.

Last edited:
The 1010 wheat.

IMG-82c99be82df09068ee1f420d29c075e1-V.jpg

Back