Light beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorwegianAle

Reaction score
Hey. Looking to make a tasty drink and drive beer. Thinking about mashing at 158F, and using a low attenuating yeast to leave most sugars possible for a rich taste. What I cannot decide on are the ingredients. I'm thinking something around 2-2,5% ABV could be all right. And maybe a taste like a pilsner with slightly more malty taste. Help me out please?

Guessing he means drink and still be able to drive legally after

Maybe. When I lived in DK, I knew a few guys that thought nothing of driving about drinking from an open beer in the cup holder. While it's not anything I'd suggest people do, no hard ever came from it for me.

I make a brown mild that is 3.25 ABV or so, only problem with it is it tastes great easy to forget it has alcohol in it

until it hits you

I do know of any drink and drive beers :( sorry

S_M

Sounds great! Are you willing to share the recipe? I would love to try it out! Thank you!

Hi! Just tested out the "Palmers oaked mild" recipe for this ale (5gallon batch), shooting for SG of 1031 (with my Brewhouse efficiency), and landed at 1034. Only difference is that I used the windsor yeast as I understand it attenuates a tad lower than most dry yeast i've used in the past. I successfully managed to keep mash temp at 158F (at least to start with) to create less fermentable sugars. And its been fermenting in the low 60's since friday afternoon. Seems like it is stabilizing at 1020, which gives me an attenuation of 41%, and ABV at 1,5%!!! If this beer comes out well and tastes alright, I have to say it has been above all my expectations for this project! I will let you know how the taste turnes out!

Ps. I found s graph online showing how beta and alpha amylase fit together with fermentability, and it showed a fermentability of 70% at this temperature. I played with the idea of multiplying this number with the yeast attenuation (ability to consume available sugars), and it gave me ca 49% which is pretty close! I know this is probably wrong and not an exact science, but i can't help feeling a little bit proud of myself ;-)

Latest posts

Back