Light Beer with a Wide Appeal or can I make that with these ingrediants?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brieuxster

Reaction score
I would like to make a smashing light beer with a wide appeal. I prefer dark beer, but I have many people I would like to thank with a gift of beer, for helping me out while I was pulling my all grain equipment together. The young fellow who handed me 75 feet of copper pipe, the plumber who handed me 30 feet of copper pipe. The list is long.
Here is what I have to work with right from the Craft Brewery hour and a half away.

7KG ( 15.4 LBS ) Two Row light malt - Rahr
2 KG ( 4.4 LBS ) Crystal malt
1 KG ( 2.2 LBS ) Cara-Pils/Dextrine
1 KG ( 2.2 LBS ) Munich malt that was sub for Vienna Malt
4 oz of Cascade Hops
3 oz Polish Lublin T 90 3.5% Alpha
Smack Pack of Yeast 1028 London Ale
Jar full of 1084 Yeast Irish Ale

That sounds like 10-15 galllons of light goodness!!

BTW, send me the other 45 feet of copper, you only need 50 feet for a IC!

i see a nice pale ale out of that. how many gallons do you want to brew? for the irish yeast, you'll need additional malt to make an irish brew

This is just a WAG at a good blonde ale with those ingredients:

7 lb 2-row
.25 lb crystal (but what is the color/Lovibond rating?)
.5 lb Munich
.25 carapils/dextrine

1 oz cascade (60 min)
1 oz cascade (15 min)

Mash 152F

Yeast, I dunno. Maybe would favor the irish ale since I've used that before but not the london ale (i don't think).

Oh and that was for a 5.5 gal batch... just double them for 11 gal. But of course that was just my WAG anyway, don't take that as gospel.

I would like to fill one Corney Keg. 19 Litres or 5 US Gallons

I thought something like Beir-munchers "Centennial Blonde Simple 4%" but no Centennial Hops so here I am looking for recipe help for my first all grain that I measure, mill and brew. .... I would like to fill one Corney Keg. 19 Litres or 5 US Gallons

2416-img00548-20110129-0930.jpg
It is Crystal 150

That crystal looks pretty dark. For the best wide-spread appeal, I would go with a blonde ale in lieu of a pale ale. And here is the recipe I would shoot for:

OG 1.047
IBU 27
SRM 7

8 lbs 2-row
1 lb munich
0.25 lbs crystal

1 oz cascade @ 60 minutes
0.5 oz lublin @ 15 minutes

mash at 148

ferment with the 1028

That should make a crisp, light, easy-drinking beer that just about anyone would love.

Brew kettle is hot. Grain is Ground. I would like to up the recipe by 1 US Gallon but I lack the skills to modify this.

Brew kettle is hot. Grain is Ground. I would like to up the recipe by 1 US Gallon but I lack the skills to modify this.

To keep the same OG but raise the volume 1 gallon, add 1.75 lbs more grain. So for the recipe I posted, go with 9.5 lbs 2-row, 1.25 lbs munich, and keep the crystal at 0.25 lbs. You can also up the cascade to 1.25 oz and the lublin to 0.75 oz.

Back