Light and Wheat LMEs Only - Head Retention etc

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KlausUndFriends

Reaction score
Hi guys, I'm thinking of making an IPA with 8lbs light LME and 2lbs of wheat LME (65:35), aiming for ABV at about 7%, no specialty grains. I've made a Hef with just wheat LME, but haven't popped a bottle yet so not sure how mouthfeel and head will be.
a steeping grain or mini mash something to help with head retention/ mouthfeel? I've also heard using only LME will result in an uncomplex/ non fresh tasting beer... Thoughts? Non complex could be ok, since I want the hops to really shine through. Thanks in advance for the advice!

I personally don't see a problem with an all LME brew. If you're not looking for the flavors that the steeping grains will give, don't use them. I guess it depends on the mouthfeel you're looking for, but I think light LME and wheat LME would give you good mouthfeel and head retention. JMO.

For an IPA especially, you don't need any specialty grains. Body and head retention should be just fine, assuming you didn't ferment too hot. Is it below 70 F? Keep it cool and you'll be good to go.

Back