Light Ale Recipe - please dissect!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeerMeThatBeer

Reaction score
Hi All,

Looking for input on this all-grain recipe. Not looking to mimick anything commercial here - but hoping for a solid "everyday drinking beer".

Hoping this didn't take a wrong turn when I started adding things to it (ie. Vienna/Corn); I guess my thought was to keep it "somewhat light", but have a little character/body without getting too dark/malty. and the hops were just what i had on hand (from an American Brown Ale i just brewed) - so if you have any info on how these might work together.

Not sure exactly which style this falls into - but also not totally sure i care on this batch. (i guess somewhere in Light/Hybrid/Cream Ale (assuming corn is a deciding factor?))

More important than anything - - do you think this will taste good? (as generally, I'm the only one drinking my homebrew!)

Batch Size = 5 GAL FG = 1.010
================
7lbs - pale 2 row
1lb - vienna malt
1lb - crystal 20L
1lb - flaked corn

1/2 OZ - Cascade (5.75AA)@60
1/2 OZ - Challenger (7.5AA) @30

Yeast = US-05
Mash = 153deg for 1hr
Ferment = 3 weeks at 67deg (plastic bucket fermenter) before bottling. (Yes - i said bottling!!)

I've got this coming out at 6 SRM; 26.5 IBU's.

-OK - have at it; I promise not to be hurt by any tearing apart you do. All in the name of making better brew.

:mug: beermethatbeer

I think it looks pretty yummy. Not sure if your trying to fit it in a BJCP catagory but it looks good.

Unless you have an affinity to the flavor of Challenger, I would invert your hop additions because Cascade is a great flavor/aroma hop and you can use almost any hop variety ( there are some exceptions) in the 60 min spot with very little difference. This will effect the IBU naturally, but yours is a little on the low side. I'd probably leave it at the higher resultant IBU if switched, but if your scared, tweak the Challenger down to get what you want.

That's my $.02

I would maybe cut the crystal back a little and use the challenger to the 60 min addition and the cascade to 5 or 0 min

thanks for the input; not sure why i never thought of switching the 2 hops; kept messing around with the amount/timing to keep the IBU's reasonable (like under 35 or so). think im definitely going to reverse them now.

this is a good test for me to compare the flavor of Challenger in 2 different styles; even though it is combined with another variety in each beer. (East Kent Goldings in my American Brown, and Cascade here); for me as long as they both pass my "will i brew this again?" benchmark - I'd put these hop combos on my good-list.

not necessarily trying to fit this into a BJCP category. just trying to make a solid lighter beer that i can replicate if successful. was hoping that i wasn't overthinking this, or putting in some extra malts just to feel like i'm smart. (as in "look - i used 5 grains vs. 2, so i'm a pro-homebrewer).

thanks again.
bmtb

You may also consider mashing at a lower temp to get a lighter body. Between the crystal and corn it's gonna taste a little heavier body-wise for how you brew it. It may be on the sweet side otherwise and a little imbalanced

You may also consider mashing at a lower temp to get a lighter body. Between the crystal and corn it's gonna taste a little heavier body-wise for how you brew it. It may be on the sweet side otherwise and a little imbalanced

the corn will mostly ferment out and won't leave any body, it will act very similar to a simple sugar addition but with more corn/sweet flavor

i think the recipe is fine as is - certainly won't be too cloying or sweet and I think challenger are a good flavor addition and there will only be minor flavor at 30min anyways.

this should be a great beer to introduce to non homebrew/craft beer drinking friends

i would mash at 150 but shouldn't be too much difference mashing at 153°

Latest posts

Back