Lifespan of a healty, white, non-smoking primary fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vasie

Reaction score
What is the lifespan of a plastic fermenter, the ale pale to be specific? I have used the same bucket now for 10 brews. Lately, I have been leaving the beer in the primary for about a month (and skipping the secondary alltogether). With beer sitting in there for such a long time, it has left this bucket smelling like hops and yeast. Before I trust this bucket to another brew, should I try to deep clean it or something to deodorize it, or should I just send it to the retirement home to eat soft foods, play scrabble, and santize beer implements?

Are they still smelling like a new born baby or like a new born baby after it has dirtied its diapers?

RDWHAHB

Scratches are what retire your fermentation vessel as they cannot be sanitized very well. The odour can be removed if you fill it with a bleach solution and let it sit for a day or two but isn't necessary.

Still using the original three after 7 years. Different airlocks, but otherwise, I just clean & sanitize. I'll bleach if they get stained.

I just wash mine with mild dishwasing soap after a batch, sanitize before each batch and it has lasted for 10+ years.

The only thing that touches the inside of my buckets are beer, my hands, and a brand new sponge. I buy the big packets of sponges and I cut off a third with a pair of sissors and use that one piece each time I clean a bucket. That's only to get the big stuff off, then I soak it overnight in PBW and then rinse, dry & put away till brew time.

Back