licorice root?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryancoker

Reaction score
I'm making a belgian strong ale this weekend. does anyone have any experience with licorice root?

My recipe calls for "licorice root - 1 each" for 60 minutes on the boil but all I was able to get my hands on was ground up into little chips. I have also been warned that too much for that long in the boil may come out overly bitter.

Thoughts?

As of now I was thinking about doing 14g for 60min and 6g for 15min (along with 1/2 tsp of cardamom at the same time).

my licorice stout, 2.5 oz at 30 minutes, then STRAIN it out turned out perfect. you knew it was there, you knew what it was, but it was in no way overpowering.

Strain it out, I used chips as well, and strained it out so none got in the fermenter, as it will continue to add flavor.

Had to check my notes, edited my post above.

2.5 oz of Anise for 30 minutes (left in the boil).

I would not do it in the mash tun. this is for a 5 gallon batch.

anise is not licorice root. two completely different flavors.

i love licorice root, i can't stand anise ;)

have not used it in a beer though.

J.

Agreed, not the same, but when we tried it both ways, We were more pleased with the licorice taste we got from anise over the licorice root (also 2.5 oz and same proceedures) I was just looking at the recipe when I corrected .5 to 2.5 oz.

Back