LHBS crushed grain really small, should I be worried?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisgoestoeleven

Reaction score
I picked up ingredients for a stout this weekend, and when I got home I noticed how small the crush is on the grain bill. This isn't a dealbreaker for the shop, as they've only just opened and they're still getting things dialed in, but I'm worried about this batch. I've heard there can be problems with the grain crushed so small, and I'm worried the batch won't turn out right. Any advice/feedback/etc?

While it might be an issue if you fly sparge, you really should be just fine regardless. Pic? It's likely their grind is just right and you're only used to coarse grinds.

What's the saying I've read on here? "Crush 'til you're scared"? Hehe.

I wouldn't worry too much, worst thing would be a stuck mash or sparge and really all you have to do is stir it up, vorlauf again and hope it runs. Kind of a pain in the butt but not a huge deal. You could also add rice hulls to the mash, they're supposed to help prevent sticking. If you post a pic I'm sure folks would let you know what they think of it.

+1 on throwing in a few handfuls of rice hulls. They are super cheap. I throw some in every batch just as insurance.

Back