LHBS charges for crush?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Choguy03

Reaction score
Well I was at my LHBS and found out that I have been getting charged $.25 / LB of grain that they crush for me. Is that crazy to have them charge? I really don't mind the money, but I guess that makes the $149 Maltmill number one on my birthday list. What do you guys think? :mug:

Mine does not charge, AHS does not charge. Northern Brewer, MoreBeer charge for the crush. I guess it is not unreasonable to charge to crush (especially for large amounts) since it does take time and they pay to maintain the mill. But, IMO, $.25 is a bit much (compare to B3 at $0.10).

I don't think it's unreasonable, it takes them time to do it and their time is worth money. If they didn't add it on as an extra visible charge it's likely they would charge more for the grain itself.

They don't charge me at all, as long as I buy my grain there.

If you can live with it, it's only $3 for 12 pounds of grain (I used math to figure that out!) If you can't, buy a nice barley crusher :) It'll pay for itself after 50 twelve pound batches.

It's a soft cost/convenience charge- I've noticed when flipping through their recent catalogue that NB charges a small fee for crushing grain. Perfect reason to buy a BC!

Why shouldn't a LHBS charge? You're using their equipment, after all.

Well I was at my LHBS and found out that I have been getting charged $.25 / LB of grain that they crush for me. Is that crazy to have them charge? I really don't mind the money, but I guess that makes the $149 Maltmill number one on my birthday list. What do you guys think? :mug:

I think a mill should be on your list, but not for economic reasons. After all, you'd have to go through about 600lbs of grain before the investment paid for itself! No, buy a mill so you can be in control of your crush, in order to brew better beer.

I also like knowing that I can buy uncrushed grain when it's convenient, and not have to brew with it right away. Crushed grain deteriorates fast.

The one LHBS I went to didn't charge (that I was aware of) most websites charge. It's just a little bit. I am looking forward to having a BC.

get a barley crusher and tell them to take their .25 and shove it! My LHBS charges too. That's what I thought of it.

Wow, you guys are fast. Well, I do get a really good crush from them. I have been right at about 80%. But I was never told that until today. I don't blame the guy that works there (he is the only one) but I really wish they would make things like that known. Just like they put prices on the grain and will tell you how much the yeast and hops cost, but every time you have to ask. I just wish they would put prices on stuff. Just a small complaint, but I am really happy with they service I have gotten from there. Just picked up all the stuff to make Ed's Octoberfest Ale with tomorrow. I will be pitching it on my kolsch cake. :rockin:

I think a mill should be on your list, but not for economic reasons. After all, you'd have to go through about 600lbs of grain before the investment paid for itself! No, buy a mill so you can be in control of your crush, in order to brew better beer.

I also like knowing that I can buy uncrushed grain when it's convenient, and not have to brew with it right away. Crushed grain deteriorates fast.

Indeed. I bought a crankenstein for $65 and it's so great to keep uncrushed grain and be able to store a bunch of grain and brew what you want when you want.

Mine charges 30¢ a lb for bulk grains (i.e. grains brought in from a 50 lb bag) or from grains not purchased there. If you buy grains there they crush for free same day as purchase.

I would be pissed if my LHBS charged for the crush too. I mean WTF, I just bought this from you, and now I am getting charged again?

But my LHBS store lets/makes (I prefer it this way) you pull the grain, crush and bag it. When you get to the front, they ask what you got, and that's it. Also, the crush wasn't that good for a while, so I would run it thru twice, but they seem to have adjusted it, so it is much better now.

I don't think too many people take advantage of them by stealing a extra grain. I have seen/heard of some people who would come in with bags they bought somewhere else, and crush there, buy 2 oz of hops, and walk out. I think that is pretty low. I think as long as you buy it there, you should be able to crush it there gratis.

I think that is pretty low. I think as long as you buy it there, you should be able to crush it there gratis.
There's no such thing as gratis. They have to buy and maintain the mill at the least, and likely expend some time either crushing the grain or, if self-serve, helping those who aren't adept to crush the grain. Those costs will be recouped one way or the other, either buried in the price of everything as an overhead cost or added on to the top of the grain charge.

Rick

Crushing grains isn't free from the HBS's perspective. They have to buy, maintain, power, some day replace the mill, and pay for somebody to operate it. So, I have no problem with them charging a nominal fee for crushing. Really, though, the cost is in there, built into their cost structure; the only question is whether it's effectively charged to EVERYONE (i.e., no separate crushing fee) or only charged to those who need that service.

Back