Letting the beer sit in the keg for a few weeks, before sticking it in the kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnny27

Reaction score
Do you guys let your beer age in the keg for a bit before putting it in the kegerator?

Let me explain, I bought a Firestone DBA kit from more beer, after one week in the primary, then a week and a half in secondary, I tossed it in the keg and stuck it in my kegerator on 13 psi. After 10 days it was well carbonated. When I tried it, it had a HUGE hop taste, much like a strong IPA. But after sitting in the kegerator for another 2 weeks it tasted much better, more mellow and rounded. I have noticed most of my beers mellow/taste better after a few weeks in the kegerator. Do you let your kegs sit for a while?

thanks
Jon

Depends on how thirsty I am!

I usually try to age any medium to full bodied beer for a full month, or several months for something really wild.

Depends on how thirsty I am!

I usually try to age any medium to full bodied beer for a full month, or several months for something really wild.

Do you age it in the keg or the secondary fermenter? Also, is it better to age in my kegerator(space is no issue), or at room temps?

thanks for the help!

Jon

I usually don't use a secondary - I tend to keep the beer in the primary for 3 weeks to a month, and then keep it in the keg another month before serving.

From what I've read, temperature isn't a huge issue, but around 55 degrees is optimal.

I usually make my beer sit in my secondary. when ever my keg is empty, it goes in, soon as it carbs up, it good to go.

There was a thread earlier in which it seemed alot of guys are just using the kegs as secondaries and then carbing after the fact. That's my plan for now on.

I usually keg after 3-4 weeks in the primary and let the keg sit at cellar temp until I'm ready to serve it--obviously I purge the headspace with CO2 first.

You rushed it out of the primary. I let it go 3-4 weeks in the primary, rack to keg, sit a week or two (depending on pipeline flow), and then carb up.

Thanks for all the replies guys, it seems like most of you don't use a secondary, how do you deal with sediment then? It seems the secondary get a decent amount of crud in it too.*

If you let it sit in primary for a month, and you are carefull when transfering, then there shouldnt be much sediment. The stuff that does get through will settle out and only the first glass or two will have some in it. After that, you should be set (as long as you dont move the keg that is).

if you let it sit in the keg to "secondary" or age, after you seal the lid with co2 pressure, wont the beer just absorb the co2? do you have to constantly re-pressurize the keg?

Once you fill it up and get the lid on, you hit it with around 30 psi of pressure to "set" the lid. After that, even if the co2 is absorbed, there should be an airtight seal.

I usually don't use a secondary - I tend to keep the beer in the primary for 3 weeks to a month, and then keep it in the keg another month before serving.

From what I've read, temperature isn't a huge issue, but around 55 degrees is optimal.

Your keg IS your secondary if you just let the beer sit in there.

Back