Letting tap water sit overnight before brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JONNYROTTEN

Reaction score
My tap water smells kind of chlorinated to me lately. I was thinking of filling BK the day before (15 gallons) to let it dissipate. I always use campden tablets.
Wondering if it will make a difference?

Might make a difference. Chlorine will evaporate and the campden tablet will take care of chloramines that may be in the water.

I have found that in CT the beginning of the month has a higher chlorine level then later in the month, I bet they use tablets or some chlorine cartridge.

Just like a fish tank, letting it breath will let the chlorine escape, and make it safe for the fish. Now that chlorine is there to kill the germs/bacteria, I forgot the name of that Pink Slime...The campden tabs will kill that stuff too and is used to eliminate both free chlorine and the more stable form, chloramine, from water.

Will it help? ya ever seen video of the guys who brewed beer from swampy, goose poop filled water...

Personally I use a whole house sediment and carbon filter, so low chlorine for me when I start.

My tap water (Durham, NC) smells & tastes like a swimming pool. I always use Campden tablets, makes a huge difference. As noted above, chlorine will dissipate, but most city water uses chloramines as well, and they are stable enough to not evaporate on their own, and require the Campden tabs.

One bottle of those cost as much as one brewing's worth of spring water, what I used before, and my water is decent across a wide range of beers (just need to add stuff for a hoppy beer, which I don't plan on brewing much of anyway) so I am happy with this setup.

As mentioned, letting your water sit (or pre-boiling) will let chlorine dissipate but not chloramines (which is why many municipal sources are switching to chloramines)... Campden Tablets will remove both at the rate of 1 tablet per 20 gallons. No need for an over night rest, though such a rest won't hurt anything.

Carbon filters work too, but the flow rate for typical ones is prohibitive and Campden tabs are so much easier. The reaction is apparently fairly instantaneous.

If your local water company uses chlorine letting it set out overnight is all you need to do, but like other posters have stated some water companies use chloramine with or instead. Get a local water report to find out.
My local water company uses chlorine, but I always taste and smell the water before I use it just in case they've pulled a switch. I have campden tablets on hand.

pretty much my process

With my on-demand water heater, I draw the hottest tap water I can get, vent the lid and leave it sit for a day or two. I also add my campden tablet then as well. Water always tastes and smells like there is a lot less chlorine when I do that.

Latest posts

Back