Let's talk Ginger Beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was planning on using fresh lemon zest. There's nothing wrong with using dried zest, but my plan is to use fresh ingredients to keep the flavors fresh and crisp.

Well, last friday I made the Ginger Beer. And there's now a bit of a party on the primary.

I changed a little the recipe on the lemon and ginger. I put 30% more ginger and 30% more lemon zest. Before I filled the carboy, I tasted it and for my surprise the ginger flavour wasn't strong, so the smell. I think I'll have to add more ginger on the secondary to get what I'm looking for this one.

There's been three days now on the primary, and I think I'm going to let it out the fridge for just a couple days more.

How many ginger should I add on second? I'm thinking between 60 and 80% of the original recipe amount.

Yuri,

As I didn't have the garlic press, I boiled one cup of water and blended with the ginger (peeled and sliced). Than I strained it and added the ginger "juice" at flameout.

I drank about a tablespoon of this "juice" and it was very strong in flavour and smell.

How long should I leave this one in primary? I'm thinking about 5 days. Let me know about you oppinion.

Mince the ginger next time rather than just slicing it. Really crush it to extract max flavor. Add perhaps 50% more ginger to the secondary and see how that tastes (you can always add more).

As for the primary, use a hydrometer to check its progress. When it's near finished (1.018 or less), rack.

I use a cheese grater when I get the zest of ingredients. It's easy and "minces" it like Yuri says to do.

ginger beer is traditionally made with or SCOBY (Symbiotic Colony of Bacteria and Yeast)
did any of yall ever try it in place of just various yeast strains?

Mince the ginger next time rather than just slicing it. Really crush it to extract max flavor. Add perhaps 50% more ginger to the secondary and see how that tastes (you can always add more).

As for the primary, use a hydrometer to check its progress. When it's near finished (1.018 or less), rack.

Hmmm, I never thought to put the ginger in secondary. I always just slice up the ginger, boil it in water to make a "tea", and add the tea right to the primary (with the ginger slices strained out). I just racked mine to the keg the other day and it tasted great. Adding to the secondary like you described ought to work nicely too.

SWMBO and I went to PF Chang's tonight, and I had a very interesting ginger beer with dinner. I can't find much info on it, and I'm tempted to believe it's a house blend of fresh ginger and hefeweizen. It was quite cloudy with little head and a very pungent ginger nose. The flavor was dominated by spicy fresh ginger with a cereal flavor that had to be wheat.

I know this is an old thread but I found it while looking for a Ginger Beer recipe. I too fell in love with the ginger beer at PF Changs. I too figured it was a ginger-wheat beer based on the cloudiness and cereal flavor. I was really disappointed to find out it's nothing more than Kirin Lager with a shot of ginger syrup called "Elixir G" (CHEATERS!!!)

I think one of my next batches will be a ginger-wheat though,,,,with a TON of ginger in boil and secondary. I love that spicy heat!!

This is a pretty long thread, so I didn't read most of it. I have a gingered ale I've brewed twice. Its in my recipes dropdown.

Its a Ginger Pale Ale. Very gingery

This is a pretty long thread, so I didn't read most of it. I have a gingered ale I've brewed twice. Its in my recipes dropdown.

Its a Ginger Pale Ale. Very gingery

Thanks! I'm still at the extract stage (for now). I'm thinking of just brewing a basic Hefe from LME and gingering the #&$% out of it...

Long time since I read this post.

Since then, I've brewed a Ginger Ale four times, always like the first time (as the result was even better of what I expected).

I'm using Pilsen and Vienna malt, Hallertauer Mittelfrueh hop and S-04 yeast.

If anyone wants to try this recipe, just send me a message so I can send the complete recipe.

Look who I've got to taste my Ginger Ale:

randy_mosher.jpg

Yes, Randy Mosher, the writer of Radical Brewing.

And he liked it.

Back