Let's talk Brewer Baseball

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yooper Chick said:
Did you see me? I was near the third base line, watching the cerveceros. I waved at the camera. Anyway, another sold out game- it was great! Sorry, Rich! The Brewer's won 2 of the 3 this weekend.

(I'm in Milwaukee until Wednesday)

Nah, sorry Yoops, but I got a last- minute invite to my friend's Dad's place on Lake Winnebago, so we put in the boat an headed over there, so I only listened on the radio. Uecker said something about some hot Brewmistress down by third base though.....:)

Cubs need to chill.

gtotem_billygoat.jpg

Well, as suspected, Ben Sheets is out 4-6 weeks. I hope this isn't going to start a downward trend. They've won 4 in a row now, and seem to be on a roll. (Tied right now, though, with the Diamondbacks.)

Yooper Chick said:
Well, as suspected, Ben Sheets is out 4-6 weeks. I hope this isn't going to start a downward trend. They've won 4 in a row now, and seem to be on a roll. (Tied right now, though, with the Diamondbacks.)

Nah, Yovani Gallardo (sic?) will be a perfect fill in for Ben while he's out, as he showed yesterday.
Yost wanted to keep Gallardo fresh for later in the season, instead we'll hopefully get back a fresh Ben Sheets.

Sorry I missed your visit to Milwaukee!

Dude said:
Great baseball since the all-star break, Brewers. :rolleyes:

Indeed.

Dude, what's worse: the Brewers losing or your loss of dignity as a result of their losing? Doesn't it hurt that I'm winning all sorts of gloating points? We're 1/2 game away from the Brew Crew. Remember just a few weeks ago when the Cubs were near the bottom?

Ouch, babe.

Cheesefood said:
Indeed.

Dude, what's worse: the Brewers losing or your loss of dignity as a result of their losing? Doesn't it hurt that I'm winning all sorts of gloating points? We're 1/2 game away from the Brew Crew. Remember just a few weeks ago when the Cubs were near the bottom?

Ouch, babe.

What hurts the most is that I drank the kool-aid and forked out 250 bucks to watch these clowns on TV every night.

This has been so frustrating. Thank goodness I brew my own beer to cope with this.

(In all honesty, the Brewers are a very, very, very far away second to the Packers. I die a little bit after every Packers loss, the Brewers, oh well.)

Dude said:
What hurts the most is that I drank the kool-aid and forked out 250 bucks to watch these clowns on TV every night.

You should spend less time on this forum and more on yes-i-am-an-idiot-talk.com.

$250 to see a team lose?

Key is the brewers crappy road winning %. If those youngsters can stop being intimidated on the road they'd be ok.

MKE home - .679, road - .396
CHI home - .529, road - .538

I still think it'll be close until the end which is better than the last 20 years. Unless the brewers nose dive or the Cubs just keep playing .675 (or whatever they're at since June 3rd).

Marathon game. Bottom of the 13th against the Mets and still 2-2.

Oops, never mind HR for the Brewcrew!

Cubs on top. Surprised no Cheesefood trash talk yet. Oh yea, he's still giddy about acheiving his MBA ;) (congrats again).

Pathetic.

Back to .500

Season is over, and for the first time in my life, I am thinking about jumping ship. What a ridiculous excuse for a team.

If Yost is allowed back for 08, I'm done with the Brewers.

Dude said:
Pathetic.

Back to .500

Season is over, and for the first time in my life, I am thinking about jumping ship. What a ridiculous excuse for a team.

If Yost is allowed back for 08, I'm done with the Brewers.

Unfortunately, I don't think I could ever jump ship. I'm doomed to suffer while the team continues it's pathetic slide. I'm curious to know what Yost's record is for his career after All-Star breaks. The Brewers always seem to get worse down the stretch. I certainly agree Yost should be gone.

www.firenedyost.com

Team ERA since the AS break: 5.55 (worst in the NL).

Starting rotation:

J Suppan 4.30
C Capuano 6.35
D Bush 5.18
Y Gallardo 5.63
C Vargas 6.37

Unless Yost can pitch, or is hiding some phenoms under the bench, how is this his fault?

Well, this is my daughter's senior picture. I guess we'll have to put a black X over most of it..............................................I can't believe how they've just sucked after the break. Blowing 4 run leads, and just falling apart.

tara_brewers.jpg

Bike N Brew said:
Team ERA since the AS break: 5.55 (worst in the NL).

Starting rotation:

J Suppan 4.30
C Capuano 6.35
D Bush 5.18
Y Gallardo 5.63
C Vargas 6.37

Unless Yost can pitch, or is hiding some phenoms under the bench, how is this his fault?

Obviously you don't watch the games.

Yooper Chick said:
Well, this is my daughter's senior picture. I guess we'll have to put a black X over most of it..............................................I can't believe how they've just sucked after the break. Blowing 4 run leads, and just falling apart.

tara_brewers.jpg

So what kind of shotgun do you have? ;)

(Yoop, she's a cutie, and even better a Brew fan, something tells me your kids are being raised right! ;) )

Dude said:
Obviously you don't watch the games.

True enough, but I'm still not sure what the manager's supposed to do to make up for the worst pitching staff in the league?

They win their share of close games, and lose a lot more than their share of blowouts. Unless a lot of his bad moves are costing them 3-4 runs, it's hard to blame the manager for that.

He may well be a terrible manager, but he's managing a mediocre team.

Average offense + worst pitching + any manager you want = sub-.500 team

Bike N Brew said:
True enough, but I'm still not sure what the manager's supposed to do to make up for the worst pitching staff in the league?

They win their share of close games, and lose a lot more than their share of blowouts. Unless a lot of his bad moves are costing them 3-4 runs, it's hard to blame the manager for that.

He may well be a terrible manager, but he's managing a mediocre team.

Average offense + worst pitching + any manager you want = sub-.500 team

Well, seeing you haven't seen the games, I don't think you can justify your statements very accurately.

I've watched 98% of the games this year, and it is a broken record every night. I watch these guys every night. Yost has no idea on how to manage his pitching staff. I mean NO clue. Why he gave Capuano so many chances, I'll never know.

You can use the "Yost isn't out there hitting and pitching every night" argument until you are blue in the face but if you watched this team, you'd be right next to me bitching about it. This is the worst fundamental baseball team I have ever watched. They swing at countless pitches out of the zone, they can't run bases, they can't field, and they can't pitch. They never hit and run, they never bunt, they never even attempt sac flies. This is due to coaching, pal. The young kids were raw coming up, but fundamentally sound until this coaching staff got a hold of them. They have regressed since May.

It is a comical joke watching Ned stumble through a game making simple baseball decisions. I can couch manage all I want and he can take stabs at the fans all he wants, but if I can tell when a pitcher has lost it, the manager should be able to as well.

Ask any frustrated fan what the problem with this team is and I guarantee you they will say coaching.

OK. Not trying to pick a fight or be a dick about it. Not having seen the games, but knowing Sheets was out and the rest of the staff had pretty well tanked, I was just surprised to hear people blaming the manager. And I'm still not sure what he's supposed to do about a staff ERA that was 4.10 before he break (49-39 record) and is 5.55 after the break (16-27). If he knows (or should know) that a pitcher sucks, and he still trots him out there to get shelled every 5 days when he's got viable alternatives, then he deserves your wrath. I just wasn't sure what the alternatives were, which was kiind of the point of my original post.

Trust me, I feel your frustration,as I have thrown bricks (well, epithets, anyway) at my TV in respinse to cerain MLB managers.

Trivia: in 2006, which manager let his pitcher bat in the top of an inning, then pulled him for a reliever to start the bottom of an inning. Late in a close game.

THREE TIMES.

I'll give you a hint: it was an NL Central manager.

Ok why does a pitching staff have an ERA of around 4 the first couple of months and then shoot up to over five the rest of the way? I can see one or two pitchers going into a funk, but the ENTIRE STAFF???? that's no ones's fault but Yost's. I don't care if they win every game the rest of the year and sweep through the playoffs- I want his sorry ass canned, and then let's get someone that has a clue.

Bernie Brewer said:
Ok why does a pitching staff have an ERA of around 4 the first couple of months and then shoot up to over five the rest of the way? I can see one or two pitchers going into a funk, but the ENTIRE STAFF???? that's no ones's fault but Yost's. I don't care if they win every game the rest of the year and sweep through the playoffs- I want his sorry ass canned, and then let's get someone that has a clue.

Exactly. He has no clue on how to read a pitcher. It was almost like he would intentionally leave a guy in to get shelled. It is a broken record, and happens almost every night. It amazes me.

Dude said:
Exactly. He has no clue on how to read a pitcher. It was almost like he would intentionally leave a guy in to get shelled. It is a broken record, and happens almost every night. It amazes me.

Dude:
Good to see AJ back.

Is this the case of an old AL guy not being able to manage for the NL? Usually catchers have a better read on pitchers.

EDIT: Forgot about ATL days.

Lorena...I was going to tell you the other night, you know who your duaghter looks like? The girl named Shannon from the series Lost. Know who I'm talking about?

BrewCrew-

Time to bring Kremblas up from Nashville! 3 yr, 3 titles! He's the guy that sends the greenhorns up ready, for Yost to f-up. Quality, no BS type who might PO some spoiled vets, but would at least have them ready. And, he can manage his pitchers! Whdd'ya think?

Sully

Both cubbies and brewer fans seem to be too nervous to talk trash. I'm not sure if I should change my avatar either.

Dude said:
Lorena...I was going to tell you the other night, you know who your duaghter looks like? The girl named Shannon from the series Lost. Know who I'm talking about?

No, I'll look it up online, though. I don't want much TV at all, except for some sports.

I can't believe the Brewers- again tied with the Cubs. I swear NEITHER team wants it.

Yooper Chick said:
No, I'll look it up online, though. I don't want much TV at all, except for some sports.

I can't believe the Brewers- again tied with the Cubs. I swear NEITHER team wants it.

Look again, dolly.

Cubs are in first.

Cheesefood said:
Look again, dolly.

Cubs are in first.

REALLY?!?!?!?! OMFG! A commanding 1/2 game lead!!!!
Ok, I give up. There's now way anyone could come back from that, might as well end the season now and pack it in.:rolleyes:

BTW, cheese, when yoops posted that they were tied.

Bernie Brewer said:
REALLY?!?!?!?! OMFG! A commanding 1/2 game lead!!!!
Ok, I give up. There's now way anyone could come back from that, might as well end the season now and pack it in.:rolleyes:

BTW, cheese, when yoops posted that they were tied.

Yeah, but Cubs had a 6-1 lead in the 8th.

Cheesefood said:
My bad...thought it said PM

What a t00l. ;)

This weekend will decide the division though, IMHO. Cubs need to at least split with STL, and the Brewers will need to sweep Cincy to have a chance. Cubs have an easier schedule after that.

Back